Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Look Up" function has disappeared

Hello, I'm using a 13 Mini with iOS 16.2. Recently, the "Look Up" function has disappeared from some apps that used to connect smoothly to dictionaries. Now when I long press to highlight a word, I only get "Copy/Translate/Search Web/Share". It's not a major thing, but I guess I used it more than I realized, because I really miss it.

iPhone 13 Mini

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 9:31 AM

Hello akorn342,

It sounds like you're referring to the Look Up option that appears (in certain apps) when using the steps in Select, cut, copy, and paste text on iPhone and tapping > to view more options.

As you mentioned the options that appear after tapping '>' are going to vary depending on the app. Does the 'Look Up' option appear when you select a word on a webpage within the Safari app?

If so, is this option missing from a different native Apple app, or one that you downloaded from the App Store? If it occurs with a third-party app, you'll want to contact the app developer to confirm whether this behavior is expected. How to contact an app developer

1. "Open the App Store on your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Search for the app, then tap it. If you can't find it, tap the account button  or your photo at the top of the screen, tap Purchased, tap "Not on this [device]," then tap the app.
  3. The app's product page appears. Scroll to the Ratings & Reviews section, then tap App Support. If you don't see App Support, make sure that you're signed in with the correct Apple ID."

In the App Store on iPhone, you can find the App Support button below the reviews.

Regards.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2023 9:31 AM in response to akorn342

Hello akorn342,

It sounds like you're referring to the Look Up option that appears (in certain apps) when using the steps in Select, cut, copy, and paste text on iPhone and tapping > to view more options.

As you mentioned the options that appear after tapping '>' are going to vary depending on the app. Does the 'Look Up' option appear when you select a word on a webpage within the Safari app?

If so, is this option missing from a different native Apple app, or one that you downloaded from the App Store? If it occurs with a third-party app, you'll want to contact the app developer to confirm whether this behavior is expected. How to contact an app developer

1. "Open the App Store on your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Search for the app, then tap it. If you can't find it, tap the account button  or your photo at the top of the screen, tap Purchased, tap "Not on this [device]," then tap the app.
  3. The app's product page appears. Scroll to the Ratings & Reviews section, then tap App Support. If you don't see App Support, make sure that you're signed in with the correct Apple ID."

In the App Store on iPhone, you can find the App Support button below the reviews.

Regards.

Jan 7, 2023 2:12 PM in response to akorn342

Hi akorn342, We recommend you check out the video in the link below to learn how to look up words on your iPhone.

How to look up a word and play audio in Translate on iPhone or iPad | Apple Support

We recommend the video above because it will show you how to use the dictionary feature on your iPhone.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have other questions or need additional support.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

"Look Up" function has disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.