Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages update

Hello. I just went to open a Pages document on my iMac and a message says, ‘you need a newer version of Pages to open this document’ I am on Snow Leopard with Pages 08. I’d be really great full for help as none of my work will open!

iMac

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 10:53 AM

You cannot open any Pages documents created by Pages v5 (Oct 2013) or later in the iWork '08 or '09 Suites because the internal document formats are entirely different. You might be able to open those newer Pages documents in Pages for iCloud and then download it as a Word or RTF document to Snow Leopard. I have nothing here to test that theory.

The oldest export feature in the current Pages applications is for Pages '09, and that may or may not open in Pages v3.0.3 in iWork '08. There is also no guarantee that if instead, you received a Word DOCX, or RTF exported from a current Pages application whether it would be entirely compatible with the iWork '08 suite. Experiment with that.

This is a classic case of time and technology obsoleting your choice of status quo.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2023 10:53 AM in response to rookiegirl

You cannot open any Pages documents created by Pages v5 (Oct 2013) or later in the iWork '08 or '09 Suites because the internal document formats are entirely different. You might be able to open those newer Pages documents in Pages for iCloud and then download it as a Word or RTF document to Snow Leopard. I have nothing here to test that theory.

The oldest export feature in the current Pages applications is for Pages '09, and that may or may not open in Pages v3.0.3 in iWork '08. There is also no guarantee that if instead, you received a Word DOCX, or RTF exported from a current Pages application whether it would be entirely compatible with the iWork '08 suite. Experiment with that.

This is a classic case of time and technology obsoleting your choice of status quo.

Pages update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.