Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Install Required Software Update

I have an iMac that is old enough to be maxed out at Big Sur. I can connect two iPhones to it via USB to back them up. But when I try to connect either of two iPads, I'm told that, "A software update is required". When I try to install the update, the iMac downloads it, but then the result is, "Can't install the Software." While all this is going on the iPad appears and disappears in the sidebar of a Finder window. As a result, I can't back up the iPads to the iMac.

The iPhones and iPads are all running iOS 16 and iPadOS 16. How can I resolve this?

iPad Pro, 12.9-inch, 6th Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 4:45 AM

Installing it might resolve the problem. Try it?

‎Xcode on the Mac App Store

The App Store may indicate your macOS version is too old for it and offer to download an earlier version. It's the only workaround I know of at present.

5 replies

Jan 7, 2023 6:48 PM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

This is a bug and it's documented here: "Your iPhone needs to update software to connect to your Mac" - Apple Community

The solution in that Discussion was to delete the Xcode app. To do that, just drag its app icon to the Trash. Then, download it again from the App Store: Redownload apps and games from Apple - Apple Support. Be advised Xcode is an enormous app that takes a very long time to download and install (hours, perhaps).

Disconnect your iPhones and iPads. Launch Xcode, install its additional components when asked to do so, and the problem should be resolved.

Be advised that you will need to repeat these steps all over again if and when Apple updates macOS or until they fix it.

Also be advised that if you have older Macs for which Apple no longer provides updated versions of Xcode there is no workaround other than to delete Xcode and leave it deleted. I confirmed the problem exists on much older Macs that cannot be upgraded any further, even to Big Sur. Not much of a problem though since outdated versions of Xcode are not very useful.

If you do not have Xcode installed then it's a different problem for which have no explanation.

Jan 8, 2023 7:59 PM in response to John Galt

The result of trying to install Xcode from the App Store is this: "We could not complete your purchase. Xcode can't be installed on 'Macintosh HD' because macOS version 12.5 or later is required." (This iMac us running macOS 11.7.2.)

There was no offer to install an older version. However, I was able to locate Xcode 13.2.1 and download and install it.

That didn't fix the "update required" problem, but it seems to have fixed the problem of not being able to mount and back up one of the two iPads. I'll try the other one once the backup of the first one finishes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Can't Install Required Software Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.