Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t backup my iPhone!

When I connect my iPhone to the computer, the iTunes recognizes my phone as a new device!

So I can’t backup my iPhone because I have no options only set my phone as a new device or restore from previous backup .

What can I do??

iPhone 8

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 1:45 PM

The "setup as new" means it will set it up as a new device syncing to the computer -- not that it will erase the device.

When connecting an iPad or iPhone to computer iTunes for the first time, you will get the choice to restore from backup or setup as new; the setup as new choice does nothing to the iPhone or iPad (i.e., it does not erase the device -- however another user here in this forum has noted that if any data was previously synced from another computer to the device, that data will be removed from the device.).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2023 1:45 PM in response to faheema288

The "setup as new" means it will set it up as a new device syncing to the computer -- not that it will erase the device.

When connecting an iPad or iPhone to computer iTunes for the first time, you will get the choice to restore from backup or setup as new; the setup as new choice does nothing to the iPhone or iPad (i.e., it does not erase the device -- however another user here in this forum has noted that if any data was previously synced from another computer to the device, that data will be removed from the device.).

I can’t backup my iPhone!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.