Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do M1 Macs slow down over time, and if so, is there a fix?

I bought a M1 Mac Min for an audio project and was alarmed to see a 9to5Mac video that said M1 Macs slow down over time to the point of unusability. Is this true? I was kind of hoping to keep the Mini for audio and video work.

The 9to5Mac people seemed to feel that the M1 Macs were a failure because Apple isn't able to make MacOS work well with the chips, owing to fault in the architecture.

I would like to be able to call BS to this notion. The 9to5Mac video didn't present real research or solutions. Thank you.

Mac mini, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 8:40 PM

Please do not provide a link to that garbage for further examination. 🙂

Over the years I have found that not all, but 90% of problems are due to Users installing third-party AV, Cleaning, Optimizing and other types of Crap-ware on their Mac's. Or... they think that a Mac can have a million and half App's open and running at the same time.

For a good tool to measure your Mac's performance now and down the road.

Download and run EtreCheck Pro from the developer, at > https://etrecheck.com/en/index.html

Then save and/or post your report, as per > How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2023 8:40 PM in response to runbei

Please do not provide a link to that garbage for further examination. 🙂

Over the years I have found that not all, but 90% of problems are due to Users installing third-party AV, Cleaning, Optimizing and other types of Crap-ware on their Mac's. Or... they think that a Mac can have a million and half App's open and running at the same time.

For a good tool to measure your Mac's performance now and down the road.

Download and run EtreCheck Pro from the developer, at > https://etrecheck.com/en/index.html

Then save and/or post your report, as per > How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

Jan 8, 2023 5:11 AM in response to runbei

While I do not have an M1 MacMini, I do have an M1 MacBook Air that has the same M1 that is in the Mini and 512GB SSD that I bought a few weeks after the M1 Macs came out in November 2020 and it is just as fast now as it was then.

Actually in some cases it is actually faster as many of the apps that were originally Intel now have native M1 versions.

Do M1 Macs slow down over time, and if so, is there a fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.