Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mystery Bluetooth Device I cannot delete

Hello,

I have a mystery bluetooth device that keeps connecting to my iPhone, there is no 'i' icon to remove, unpair or delete it. When I turn off bluetooth then turn on again, it doesn't show up again until I leave the bluetooth screen, but returns like clockwork when I come back. Apple, this is a major security issue, can you please help?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 9:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 10:25 AM

After sitting on the phone with Apple support, they were very helpful. It turns out that Fitbits, Tesla's, and other car manufacturer apps can setup the control of the bluetooth connections, which removes the "i" option. The solution to figure out what app was creating the device was to go to:

• Privacy and Security -> Bluetooth -> and then start turning off apps one by one
  • After turning off an app, go back and check the bluetooth connections to see if the device is still there.

Doing this systematically helped to determine which app was creating the device. In my case, not a malicious source, which is comforting.

Apple, this process of apps being able to create bluetooth devices without control probably should not be allowed.

Anyway, hope this helps if you have the same problem.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2023 10:25 AM in response to Lite User

After sitting on the phone with Apple support, they were very helpful. It turns out that Fitbits, Tesla's, and other car manufacturer apps can setup the control of the bluetooth connections, which removes the "i" option. The solution to figure out what app was creating the device was to go to:

• Privacy and Security -> Bluetooth -> and then start turning off apps one by one
  • After turning off an app, go back and check the bluetooth connections to see if the device is still there.

Doing this systematically helped to determine which app was creating the device. In my case, not a malicious source, which is comforting.

Apple, this process of apps being able to create bluetooth devices without control probably should not be allowed.

Anyway, hope this helps if you have the same problem.

Jan 8, 2023 2:04 PM in response to Lite User

Those devices use BLE (Bluetooth low energy), and they “pair” with an app instead of with the phone. When you install the app it leads you through the process to pair it to the device. Once paired it can only communicate with the specific app it is paired to. It will NEVER be a malicious source; it is always an app that you have installed on your phone to go with a device you have purchased, and that you went through steps to set up. It is typically used for health and medical apps, such as exercise monitors and watches and medical devices such as blood pressure cuffs, scales, blood sugar monitors, etc. And it is very short range; typically only a few feet.

Jan 11, 2023 4:06 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Wow, I have been going thru the same issue. I also have a mystery device connecting thru bluetooth to my iphone.

The device has a very similar ID to the one discussed herein and it also lacks the Info icon. I went thru the process discussed in this thread and determined that if i shut off my Tesla app for the Tesla i just purchased, the device disappears. But I then I can't access my Tesla which requires an iphone connection. But ever since that device appeared, my phone service with Verizon has been horrible whenever I am in my house. I keep dropping calls with the fail notice appearing and calls cannot be recieved. This all goes away if I restart my phone, but I have to do this repeatedly all day long. I actually believe the mystery device's appearance is related to my Tesla wall charger, which might explain why the interruption of my cell service only occurs when I am home. So here are my questions: 1. How do i delete this device from bluetooth connection and 2. will delting the device interfere with the use or utility of my Tesla or the Tesla wall charger? Please help, this cell phone issue is driving me crazy! thanks.

Jan 8, 2023 1:58 PM in response to Lite User

Lite User Said:

“[…]Apple, this process of apps being able to create bluetooth devices without control probably should not be allowed.[…]”

———-

Recommend this to Apple:

Do your Part: These settings are new, and are what Apple has included in the iOS. So, recommend to Apple that they make this change. Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on something, the more they will know what their customers prefer, and what features to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Feature Request" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that you want this to not be an option and why. Include the URL of this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary.

Jan 11, 2023 7:33 AM in response to michaelfeldman

The “unknown" device is known, it is your Tesla, as you proved. And you also discovered that you can shut off the Tesla app and it goes away. That’s further proof. You can’t delete the device if you want to continue using a Tesla, as the “device” IS the Tesla or maybe the Tesla charger (probably, because BLE requires that the device be close). You can test this by going for a drive away from home. Is the device still present in Settings/Bluetooth? If so then the car itself is the “device”. If not, the charger is the “device”.

So the answer to 1. is get rid of your Tesla. The answer to 2. is yes, deleting the device will stop communication between your phone and your car.

And it has nothing to do with any problems you have with Verizon. If you turn off the Tesla app does your Verizon service improve? I doubt that it does. Your problem with cell service is probably location; your home does not have good Verizon coverage. The easiest fix for that is to enable Wi-Fi Calling with Verizon and turn it on in Settings/Cellular.

Jan 7, 2023 9:36 PM in response to Lite User

Lite User Said:

"Mystery Bluetooth Device I cannot delete: Hello, I have a mystery bluetooth device that keeps connecting to my iPhone, there is no 'i' icon to remove, unpair or delete it. When I turn off bluetooth then turn on again, it doesn't show up again until I leave the bluetooth screen, but returns like clockwork when I come back. Apple, this is a major security issue, can you please help?"

-------

If a Bluetooth Device Won't Go Away:

Reset the iPhone:

If you are concerned about what is on your iPhone, you could always just reset it, as if you were to sell it. The phone number would remain. Contact your carrier, if need be.

Use this Link: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Mystery Bluetooth Device I cannot delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.