Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 iMac firmware lock

Got an 2011 iMac and it’s asking for a firmware password that I don’t know. Is there a way to reset it or will installing a fresh copy of the OS clear it?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 5:44 AM

mikey bk wrote:

Got an 2011 iMac and it’s asking for a firmware password that I don’t know. Is there a way to reset it

no, you will need to contact the person you bought it from and ask them to remove it for you.

or will installing a fresh copy of the OS clear it?

no. your only other option you have is to bring it to an Apple Store and have them remove it. but if you don't have the original proof of purchase in your name, they won't help you with that.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2023 5:44 AM in response to mikey bk

mikey bk wrote:

Got an 2011 iMac and it’s asking for a firmware password that I don’t know. Is there a way to reset it

no, you will need to contact the person you bought it from and ask them to remove it for you.

or will installing a fresh copy of the OS clear it?

no. your only other option you have is to bring it to an Apple Store and have them remove it. but if you don't have the original proof of purchase in your name, they won't help you with that.

2011 iMac firmware lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.