You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrade Catalina 10.15.7 to Big Sur on iMac late 2012?

I don't see that Big Sur is an option when I try to upgrade on my computer. Is this possible and if so, how? I've backed up and gone to System Prefs but do not see that as an option as described in online guides. It's a 21.5" late 2012 quad-core Intel i5 w/ 876.37 GB memory available.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 7:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 7:43 AM

sorry, no. you need a 2014 iMac to run Big Sur.

9 replies

Jan 9, 2023 10:38 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

Thx. Sometimes my files don't transfer to TT if they don't have the right file extension name, and I am not fond of having my financial info online, but I guess I'll have to do that, in lieu of buying a new computer. Do you know if a file is named "2021 taxes," can I simply rename it with the correct file extension? (.tax2021)? That's what it says under the info tab on this file "2021 Taxes.tax2021" Thx again.

Jan 11, 2023 8:55 AM in response to owl912

It's unlikely the file was created without an extension, even if it shows that way. Check the Get Info... dialog, under "Name & Extension". If that shows "2021 Taxes.tax2021", then the file already has the correct extension. (Very likely, with "Hide extension" checked underneath it.)

Unless you turn on the "Show all filename extensions" preference (Finder > Preferences... > Advanced), macOS won't necessarily show the extension for some files, but the name shown in the Info dialog is the full filename.

You're better off just unchecking "Hide extension" in that dialog, if you really want to see the extension, rather than trying to rename the file. And if it really doesn't have an extension, you can edit the name right there in that field of the Info dialog, to be sure you're editing the full name+extension.

upgrade Catalina 10.15.7 to Big Sur on iMac late 2012?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.