Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System freezes for several seconds, but audio keeps on playing

iMac 4,2 GHz Quad Core Intel with Ventura 13.1, 40 GB RAM, SSD.

I'D say about since going to ventura, it seemed that BT-connected devices such as Mouse (Logitech) and keyboard (Apple) seemed to pause for several seconds many many times a day. But upon further looking at it, EVERYTHING stopps, even the seconds on the clock, except audio. Radio keeps on playing. When I'm in a Zoom Call, audio in and out keep on going (both built-in audio and shure sm7), but the video and all the rest freezes. sometimes it is 2 or 3 seconds, sometimes it is over 20 seconds. More than 20 times a day.

I have NO clue what this could be, I am reading this a lot on M! mac, which this is not (and my M! does not show this behaviour).

What can I do to narrow the search, what causes this and in the best case: solve it?

any ideas?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 5:00 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jan 10, 2023 7:18 AM in response to Randall_2023

Hi Randall_2023,

thanks for the ideas.

I do not run too many applications at the same time. I do not run antivirus software, I do not use cleanmymac. SSD is half free (about 800 GB free).

During those times, NO App used more than 25% CPU (Activity monitor kept on running an changing*), the biggest memory user was Indesign with 9 GB, the next had 1 GB, everything else below 1 GB.

The star (*) means: Since Activity monitor keeps on changing its values, maybe the Input-path is the problem? USB/BT? But my USB Microphone is working during there timeouts. only BT?

Jan 10, 2023 7:07 AM in response to th_

Try running the Activity Monitor then sort the columns by %CPU and then Memory to see if you can determine what software or processess are causing the stalling. Then after determining what it is, you could then try removing that application that is causing the system to freeze up temporarily. There are other causes related to this as well:

1-You might be running too many applications at the same time.

2-You might be running Anti-Virus software

3-You might be running CleanMyMac (Or any other 3rd party Mac cleaners)

4-You might be running low on SSD space. The SSD uses some space for swap space when Ram runs low.

Jan 10, 2023 7:29 AM in response to th_

Good Suggestions from @ Randall_2023

To get a more complete inventory of Both Hardware and Software on this computer >>

Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer.

It makes a coherent and readable inventory of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues

Part 2 of 2

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System

Certain Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store - this only means the Developer is prepared to pay Apple a portion on each sale. What the Application may do to the computer is up to the User to check this out before purchase

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions

This will include CleanMyMac , This will include BitDefender

This will included Norton Antivirus , Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus, McAfee, MacKeeper, Avast AntiVirus

Ad Guard, Webroot , ESET , Kaspersky Antivirus. Anti virus

AVG AntiVirus   PowerMyMac 

Trustee  Total AV  avira antivirus   Dr Cleaner Pro Plus

AntiVirus for Mac

F-Secure

Read some of the posting and arrive at your own conclusions.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Jan 10, 2023 9:08 AM in response to PRP_53

Just a quick callback to the points above:

• I have not the feeling of having a heavily modded OS
  • Fusion Drive has never been an issue. In the sense that the Systems stops to a halt. It has been quick for small files and slow for Giga-Files. But that has always been consistent on this computer and definitely is not what I am experiencing now.
  • The Internet Connection has never been and is not my problem now. the radio streams just fine, when everything else completely stands still.

Since you mention the FortiClient: This has been installe per request of a customer, who is going to give us VPN access to his network over this client. It has not been properly set up and I am waiting on further instructions. I get error messages regarding rights (Full Disk Access maybe?) but I keep setting those to later, to when I am in contact with the IT person of my clients company.

So this is just a quick reply to the observations above, so that maybe you don't steer in the wrong direction examining this.

I appreciate the effort you took to far greatly. Thank you very much.

Jan 10, 2023 8:21 AM in response to th_

Very quick review and a couple of thing Jump out to me.

Will do a more compete look later

1 - Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.wireshark.ChmodBPF.plist

2-  FortiClientProxy - version 1.0.11 (Fortinet, Inc - 2022-08-26)

3 - System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

1 - Running a Heavily Modified Operating System tends to have consequence and this maybe what this computer is experiencing. Regardless of having a whopping about of RAM

Then there is the Fusion Drive which was good for Extra Storage Space but with a Sizeable Negative Hit on Performance. This is especially from macOS 11 and above as the OS is geared toward an ALL SSD Configuration

2 and 3 above - Both of which will interfere with the Internet Connections

Jan 10, 2023 9:36 AM in response to th_

Welcome

Heavy Modifications can be done by Purposeful Actions of the user and / or though Installation of Third Party Applications that Alter the Normal Process and Functions of the Operating System.

This system has Both.

If one takes the time to explore, almost all Newer Apple Computer come with ALL SSD Drives.

That is for several reasons and not less that the Operating System starting in macOS 11 Big Sur is geared towards that type of Internal Drive .

No matter how clean of a system is installed and used on this specific Computer ( Fusion Drive ) The Rotational Drive ( even a 7200 RPM )will never reach the same Performance Levels of a SSD.

VPNs at Clients request - we serve the Entity who pays the Bills and have to live with that and the issue it may cause.

System freezes for several seconds, but audio keeps on playing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.