Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Why do my AirPods Pro 2 keep disconnecting?

I bought my wife new AirPods Pro 2 for Christmas and they constantly disconnect when listening to music or watching videos. It will show as connected, yet no sound comes through. Happens randomly but constantly. Help please, too expensive to have these many issues…

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 6:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2024 5:33 PM

Many users are frustrated with their airpods pro 2 disconnecting from their devices. They blame Apple, but these are technical issues that can be easily solved. There are various reasons for airpods disconnection, and each one has a different solution. Here are some common solutions:

• Restart your iPhone, iPad, or Mac
  • Disable automatic switching between devices
  • Turn Bluetooth on and off
  • Pair your airpods again with your device
  • Disable automatic ear detection
  • Reset your iOS device’s network settings
  • Update your iPhone, iPad, or Mac
  • Update the firmware on your airpods
  • Reset your airpods

I cannot explain each solution in detail here since these are detailed steps and I can't type this much, so you can visit a guide like this which I have found very helpful 9 Proven Ways to Fix Airpods Pro 2 Keep Disconnecting and follow the steps. I hope this will solve your issue. I suggest you research the issue on Google first, and then ask here if you need more help

60 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2024 5:33 PM in response to carlosey

Many users are frustrated with their airpods pro 2 disconnecting from their devices. They blame Apple, but these are technical issues that can be easily solved. There are various reasons for airpods disconnection, and each one has a different solution. Here are some common solutions:

• Restart your iPhone, iPad, or Mac
  • Disable automatic switching between devices
  • Turn Bluetooth on and off
  • Pair your airpods again with your device
  • Disable automatic ear detection
  • Reset your iOS device’s network settings
  • Update your iPhone, iPad, or Mac
  • Update the firmware on your airpods
  • Reset your airpods

I cannot explain each solution in detail here since these are detailed steps and I can't type this much, so you can visit a guide like this which I have found very helpful 9 Proven Ways to Fix Airpods Pro 2 Keep Disconnecting and follow the steps. I hope this will solve your issue. I suggest you research the issue on Google first, and then ask here if you need more help

Apr 28, 2023 6:50 AM in response to carlosey

My AirPods Pro 2 keep disconnecting from my iPhone 11 Pro for a couple of seconds before reconnecting a few times per hour. I have tried all the suggested fixes, including resetting network settings, forgetting device, updating firmware, updating software, changing ear tip sizes, etc. I have been to the Genius Bar a few times, and eventually used my AppleCare coverage to get replacements for both my iPhone 11 Pro and AirPods Pro 2. The problem is still happening. My unfortunate conclusion is that this is either a software or hardware bug specific in the AirPod 2 Pro design that Apple still has not acknowledged. I never had this issue with my first gen Airpods Pro. Very disappointed and frustrated with Apple over this.

Jun 29, 2023 11:01 AM in response to carlosey

My AirPods Pro 2 have been disconnecting randomly for the last few months too. I’ve tried turning off Noise Cancellation, Transparency Mode, Spatial Audio, Automatic Ear Detection, & Follow iPhone; I’ve tried “Forget This Device” and several factory resets to no avail.

I’ve also noticed that when I take my AirPods Pro 2 out of the case, they frequently struggle to connect to my iPhone 14 Pro. It’s something to do with the Bluetooth. They try to make the connection, but when I open up Settings > Bluetooth > My Devices, the little “Connecting…” progress circle that appears next to my APP2s gets stuck in a loop, and won’t connect until I toggle Bluetooth off & back on again then manually select my APP2s from my list of Bluetooth devices.

My 1st gen AirPods Pro were always able to connect without a hitch the moment I’d open up the charging case. Idk what the issue is here, but I’ve heard there that Apple is rolling out a Firmware Update for AirPods at some point in the near future. I sure hope it patches up this insanely aggravating bug.

Aug 21, 2023 8:42 AM in response to carlosey

As an update to my previous post, I am still experiencing frequent and random disconnections between my iphone and airpods pro 2. In addition, when I make phone calls with these airpods pro 2, people constantly complain I sound either muffled, static, etc. That is despite getting them replaced at the Apple store and making sure firmware and iOS are current. I have changed and experimented with all the settings that everyone has already discussed on this and other threads, although doing so should never be necessary for a good product.

My resolution is this: I am now using my old Airpods Pro 1. They work well, despite the reduced battery life and inability to adjust volume from the airpod. I am disappointed that Apple does not officially admit to a problem with the Airpods Pro 2, despite all the comments from users online. I will not consider upgrading to a next gen Apple Airpod in the future until Apple admits to this problem and offers a credit for the $$ we all paid to them for the privilege of dealing with all these disconnection and poor phone call voice quality issues.

Does anyone have any experience with using the Sony WF-1000XM4 earbuds with their iPhone?

Dec 6, 2023 9:12 AM in response to carlosey

Hi All,

Just wanted to share a quick tip for those experiencing random disconnections of AirPods Pro with their iPad. If you're having issues while using streaming apps (like Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube), try this:

1. Go to "Settings" > "Privacy" > "Bluetooth" on your iPad.
  2. Turn off Bluetooth access for the apps in question.

This simple step solved my disconnection problems. It might not work for everyone, but if you're facing the same issue, it's worth a shot!

Feb 14, 2023 6:23 PM in response to carlosey

My Apple AirPods Pro (first generation) kept continually disconnecting for weeks then connecting and

immediately disconnecting. One one the brief moments they connected I was able to go into the settings and turn off ‘Automatic Ear Detection' and for the first time in a long they connected. Dont know if it is a permanent fix, we'll see at the gym tomorrow.

Apr 21, 2023 11:08 PM in response to Ben_Z1

This sequence of actions is meant to be used if "If you can't connect to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch" and does not prevent disconnection of already connected airpod pro 2 from an iphone -- the steps help with the reconnect, but the point of this thread is the issue of disconnection of already connected APP2 from a device.

This disconnection issue continues to occur after the recent firmware upgrade. This is quite frustrating when on a phone call as there is no warning that it's happening and you lose both sides of the conversation -- the iphone speaker does not automatically take over -- so if you don't notice the person on the other end of the call may hang up as they think you've disconnected.

The APP2 connection failure issue should not be happening in the first place -- Apple should fix the issue.

Mar 21, 2024 10:17 PM in response to carlosey

After having the same issue (AirPods disconnecting after a few minutes from calls), I realized that my issue was ONLY happening when the microphone from my AirPods was active (FaceTime, Zoom, WebEx). But when I was listening to music or a TV show on Apple TV, I was staying connected until the battery died. That led me to think it has something to do with the mic in the AirPods. Note: I took them to Apple and they ran diagnostics and didn’t find any HW defect and the AirPods were up to date with the firmware.

Back to the mic. There is a setting in the Bluetooth settings of your AirPods that lets you set the microphone of your device on the left, right or “auto”. By default it’s on auto. So, I ran a test on a dummy conf call and set my mic on the left AirPod. It never disconnected. Then I switched it to the right AirPod and it immediately disconnected. I then did the same thing from right to left and same behavior.

So, now, as a workaround, I just set the mic on one of the AirPods (I do not use auto), and the disconnect issue disappeared.

Apple still has to figure out why switching the mic from one AP to the other causes the disconnect (I contacted them and will jump on a call with them to discuss tomorrow), but at least I can use my AP again in meetings!

I hope that helps other folks here with that issue!

May 9, 2023 2:57 PM in response to carlosey

This was happening with the first gen APP's. Still happening with the APP2's. Very frustrating. Sometimes I'll have a workout without any issues, with noise cancellation and spatial audio active. Other times, it skips the song like it's a scratched CD in an old player, skipping constantly, sometimes 2-3 times in one second, sometimes completely disconnecting in one ear and playing just fine in the other with noise cancellation STILL active. Turning on and off noise cancellation/spatial audio rarely helps. It seems like the Pods have to be in just the right mood to work correctly. I shouldn't have to completely reconnect a device just to get it to work for a few days.

Jan 13, 2023 5:51 PM in response to carlosey

Hi there carlosey,

If these AirPods Pro are disconnecting unexpectedly, these steps from If your AirPods won't connect can help resolve what's happening:

If you can't connect to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
1. Make sure that your iPhone or iPod touch has the latest version of iOS or that your iPad has the latest version of iPadOS.
2. Put both AirPods in the charging case and make sure that both AirPods are charging.
3. To make sure that Bluetooth is on, go to Settings > Bluetooth.
4. If your AirPods are connected, make sure that they're selected as your audio device. If your AirPods appear in the list of devices but they don't connect, go to the next step.
5. Close the lid, wait 15 seconds, then open the lid. Press and hold the setup button on the back of the charging case for up to 10 seconds. The status light on the front of the charging case should flash white, which means that your AirPods are ready to connect.
AirPods charging cases

6. Hold the charging case, with your AirPods inside and the lid open, next to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
7. Follow the steps on the screen of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
8. Test your AirPods. If you still can't connect, reset your AirPods.

If this continues after looking over that, also happens in multiple locations and while connected to multiple devices, then Apple Support would be the best equipped to look into this further. Contact them here: Contact - Official Apple Support

Cheers!

Why do my AirPods Pro 2 keep disconnecting?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.