Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i move pages around in the thumbnails. I want to move page 2 to the last page and when I select it nothing happens

Trying to move a page in Pages with thumbnails. I click on the page and nothing moves. I didn't have this problem before. Is something locked?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 12:42 PM

Pages has two separate modes: 1) the default word processing mode where you are very restricted with thumbnails and the approach I mentioned, and 2) Page layout mode where you have real flexibility when rearranging, or deleting thumbnails.

See Intro to word-processing and page layout documents in Pages on Mac - Apple Support

Pages is a tremendous leap from MS Publisher or any other true DTP application. Pages was intended for consumers and Apple works hard to keep it that way. There is Affinity Publisher that is a competent application in the Mac App Store and has a free trial from the Affinity site.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2023 12:42 PM in response to DEBGAYLE

Pages has two separate modes: 1) the default word processing mode where you are very restricted with thumbnails and the approach I mentioned, and 2) Page layout mode where you have real flexibility when rearranging, or deleting thumbnails.

See Intro to word-processing and page layout documents in Pages on Mac - Apple Support

Pages is a tremendous leap from MS Publisher or any other true DTP application. Pages was intended for consumers and Apple works hard to keep it that way. There is Affinity Publisher that is a competent application in the Mac App Store and has a free trial from the Affinity site.

Jan 12, 2023 11:52 AM in response to DEBGAYLE

In the default word processing mode, you can only rearrange section thumbnails, but not individual pages within those sections. The optional Page layout mode allows one to rearrange individual thumbnails as they are single sections.

In word processing mode, you have to place your insertion pointer after the last character on that last page, and then choose Insert menu > Page break. Copy/paste the content of Page 2 into that new page at the end of your document. With the content of Page 2 still selected, hit backspace to remove that page content, and then another backspace to delete that page.

Jan 12, 2023 12:36 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for getting back to me. I thought I was able to move pages around in the past. I find the answer a little confusing. I actually exported it to a PDF so I can rearrange the pages but feel that is just not ok. We should be able to move pages around much easier than having to export or do all the ridiculous copy/paste.. blah, blah blah. Not user friendly. I am also a little confused by the default settings. Looks like I can't do anything more than those settings and the options aren't accessible. . Apple really should be able to make this program more user friendly. I had no problems with Publisher for Microsoft. Anyway. thanks for your input.

How do i move pages around in the thumbnails. I want to move page 2 to the last page and when I select it nothing happens

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.