You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Default Contacts Account Keeps Changing

I keep changing the default account for contacts from Gmail to iCloud and then later when I try to create a new contact from a phone number in Messages, for example, I check and it was added to Gmail. Then I check the settings for my default account and sure enough, it changed back to Gmail when I know I had fixed it to be iCloud. This keeps happening! How can this be fixed?

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 1:29 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 16, 2023 4:32 PM in response to DragonSpot

Hello DragonSpot,

Let's use the steps below to make sure your iPhone is up to date:

1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.

You can also find those steps in this resource: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If your iPhone is all up to date, let's restart: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support Updating and restarting can sometimes help address odd behaviors.

Should that still persist, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support: Contact - Official Apple Support They'll be in the best position to look into this further.

Take care.

Jan 16, 2023 10:08 AM in response to DragonSpot

Hey there DragonSpot,

To start, let's check: Settings > Contacts > Default Account: Make sure there's a check mark next to iCloud. If not, select that option now.

Next, make sure there's enough space available in iCloud: Settings > Tap your name at the top > iCloud. If there's not enough storage, you may run into an issue adding Contacts or other data.

Let us know if the issue continues.

Take care.

Default Contacts Account Keeps Changing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.