Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk First Aid

What does this mean?

File system verify or repair failed.: (-69845)

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 11:45 AM

What that tells me that on the last attempt Disk Utility was unable to correct some error(s). That can occasionally occur. When it does, simply run Disk Utility until you get a final OK message. Sometimes it's necessary to run it multiple times to complete a repair. If it still fails you may need to reinstall your operating system.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2023 11:45 AM in response to MJCarvajal

What that tells me that on the last attempt Disk Utility was unable to correct some error(s). That can occasionally occur. When it does, simply run Disk Utility until you get a final OK message. Sometimes it's necessary to run it multiple times to complete a repair. If it still fails you may need to reinstall your operating system.

Jan 14, 2023 2:23 PM in response to MJCarvajal

I'll summarize what I did. I restarted the MBP in Safe Mode and ran Disk Utility for the following volumes that appear under APPLE SSD AP8192R Media:

• Container disk3
  • Macintosh HD - Volumes
  • Macintosh HD - snapshot

And this is what appeared at the end of each verification:

Running First Aid on “Container disk3”

The volume /dev/rdisk3s6 appears to be OK.

Verifying allocated space.

Performing deferred repairs.

error: missing/invalid physical extent (1085775920 + 8) with refcnt 1

Skipped 8/8 repairs of this type in total.

Deferred repairs skipped.

The container /dev/disk0s2 could not be verified completely.

Storage system check exit code is 8.

Storage system verify or repair failed. : (-69716)

Operation successful.

“Macintosh HD – Snapshot” at the end it said:

Verifying volume object map space.

The volume /dev/rdisk3s3 appears to be OK.

File system check exit code is 0.

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

Operation successful.

“Macintosh HD – Data” it said:

Verifying volume object map space.

The volume /dev/rdisk3s1 was found to be corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Performing deferred repairs.

error: Unable to perform deferred repairs without full space verification

error: Try running fsck against the entire APFS container instead of a volume

The volume /dev/rdisk3s1 could not be verified completely.

File system check exit code is 8.

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

Operation successful.

What do you suggest I do?

Jan 14, 2023 4:55 PM in response to MJCarvajal

I went back and looked more closely at the reports you provided and here is what I see. It says that it was able to run successfully in some of the reports but in others it was unable to complete needed repairs. Sorry I didn't read more carefully before. I think you would be wise to do the following.

• Do a complete backup of your disk to an external disk. Note: iCloud is NOT a backup service.
  • Download and reinstall your Mac's operating system. If possible, do not use Wi-Fi. It is too slow and often corrupts these very large files. Better to use and Ethernet connection.

You haven't shared why you ran Disk Utility. In other words, what is the problem you have been experiencing?

Jan 14, 2023 5:33 PM in response to Ronasara

Every week I run Disk Utility to verify the HD since I have an over 4 TB of data, much of it family photos of 2 generations and almost all my files from the mid 80s.

I haven’t noticed anything wrong or not working, but in other occasions I waited until I saw something not working and I think I lost information.

And finally, the process of erasing the HD, reinstalling the OS and transferring all the data and mails takes about 36 hours.

One last thing, I installed Ventura the day it was released to the public and started having problems. I called Apple and they suggested I erase the HD, reinstall the OS, etc. and the link the person gave me did not allow the download of Ventura, only the previous OS so I installed that and I started having lots of issues. So I had to to the entire process all over again, this time I installed Ventura and this time the MBP works, I only have one minor glitch (in Mail the attachments of non-Apple software, i.e. MS Mail, Excel, Acrobat PDF appear as generic icons) in addition to this one.

Jan 14, 2023 6:46 PM in response to MJCarvajal

I suggest that you reboot the Mac in Recovery Mode and run Disk Utility First Aid from there. I think that's what you were originally asking about. In Recovery Mode, the Mac boots from a separate volume which makes the Disk First Aid process more reliable. Running it from the system while it is running and using the disk can sometimes result in errors, when in fact the disk may be clean; if it is clean, Disk First Aid run from Recovery Mode should show no errors.

Before doing this, be sure you have a reliable and tested backup (two backups are even better).

If there are uncorrectable errors with Disk Utility First Aid run from Recovery, the Apple recommended fix for this is to erase/format the drive and reinstall a fresh new system, and then migrate from your backup. If you end up doing this, my experience (I have done this) is that it took about 2 hours, for the MacOS reinstall plus about 400 GB of data that had to be migrated (from an SSD backup drive).

The gold standard is Disk Utility First Aid from Recovery Mode. When run from a "live" running system, false errors can be reported.

Disk First Aid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.