You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find my Frends • See Device but not Person

My wife’s iPhone 11 (iOS 16.2) will show up in Find my Friends under the Tab DEVICES but not PEOPLE. She will occasionally appear but not often. Have tried several suggestions: deleting each other and re-inviting, restarting, turning Location Services off/on, etc. Have asked others that she shares with and they say that they observe the same spotty “reception”.

The iPhone is her designated device to follow.

Question #2: If we delete her FMF app and reinstall will she have to re-invite the friends she follows?

Thanks

iPhone 11

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 3:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 4:31 PM

Thanks for the input, but nothing on that link but basic setup instructions.

One new observation: I was with another friend who shares location with the wife — their phone showed her position within a few seconds while mine wouldn’t. Still shows her position in DEVICES.

Thanks in advance.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 21, 2023 11:35 AM in response to OpeningDay

Hi OpeningDay,

Do you and your wife share any devices. If so, that may be linked to the issue you're experiencing. Try removing any devices that are not your personal devices using this guidance from Check your Apple ID device list to find where you're signed in - Apple Support. Have your wife check and do the same.

"Use your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch to find where you're signed in

1. Tap Settings > [your name], then scroll down. 
  2. Tap any device name to view that device's information, such as the device model, serial number, OS version, and whether it's a trusted device that can be used to receive Apple ID verification codes. The information might vary depending on the device type. You might need to answer your security questions to view device details."

If you share any AirPods, Beats etc. check for those as well. The following is from Remove a device from Find Devices on iCloud.com - Apple Support.

"Remove a device from the Devices list

If you’re not using a device, you can temporarily remove it from your account so it doesn’t show up in your Devices list. When the device goes online again, it reappears in the list if it has Activation Lock turned on (for an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or Apple Watch) or is paired with your iOS or iPadOS device (for AirPods or a Beats product).

1. Turn off the device, or put AirPods in their case. The device must be offline before you can remove it from the Devices list.
  2. In Find Devices on iCloud.com, click All Devices, then select the device you want to remove.

If you don’t see All Devices, it’s because you’ve already selected a device. Click the name of the current device in the center of the Find Devices toolbar to see the Devices list, then select a new device.

3. Click Remove from Account."

Take care.

Find my Frends • See Device but not Person

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.