Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dead or stuck on black screen problem

Hi,

I hope all are good. Recently, I faced a serious problem-stuck iphone on black screen-which I haven't taken backup of it.

I tried updates through iTunes but it is not working. And took to repair shop while they recommended to restore/factory reset it. However this option will completely erase all my contents, but I want to recover my data first and than reset to factory settings. Now I want the community to clarify, whether is it possible to recover my data from my dead iPhone if yes please provide the solution.

I will appreciate it a lot.

Thanks,

iPhone 6, 12

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 5:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 12:31 PM

Hello,

Have you seen this? See below:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won‘t turn on or is frozen

A factory reset will indeed erase all of your data. After it is complete, the next thing to do is to restore from a backup:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

If the first step doesn't work (frozen reset), and you do not have a backup, you are at risk of losing data.

Good luck.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2023 12:31 PM in response to asadullah96

Hello,

Have you seen this? See below:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won‘t turn on or is frozen

A factory reset will indeed erase all of your data. After it is complete, the next thing to do is to restore from a backup:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

If the first step doesn't work (frozen reset), and you do not have a backup, you are at risk of losing data.

Good luck.

Jan 16, 2023 5:07 AM in response to asadullah96

Hello,

It is my understanding that those things are rarely successful. However, if your data is critical, it might be worth a try.

However, before you go down that road, make sure that it is not something simple:

1) Are you sure that it is charged? Check the charging port for lint or other debris (use a bright light and a toothpick). If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won‘t charge

2) Frozen? If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won‘t turn on or is frozen

3) You mentioned that you tried to connect it to your computer, but it didn't work. See this: If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

Let us know if you get it going.

Good luck.

Jan 16, 2023 6:09 AM in response to MrBill3

Thanks.

1. It is charged. I already put it into charge for half hour.

2. It turn on. Just the iphone logo blinks and than goes into dark screen.

3. itunes recognize but it only shows check for update/restore. While I tried update it didn't work. And I don't want to restore to factory settings because I don't want to lose my personal data.

4. I want a better solution to take out my data and than reset it.

I will appreciate a better solution.

Dead or stuck on black screen problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.