Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes can't play full screen video for purchased movies and TV shows

We have a bunch of movies and TV shows that we purchased in iTunes in the past. We have iTunes on a Windows computer, and we we try to play them, the do play, but I can't get full screen mode to work properly. There are a few options if you right-click in addition to the full screen button. They can take up the full width of the screen, but not when using full screen mode, so other parts of the current computer background and iTunes show above/below the movie frame. When we hit full screen, it blacks out the surrounding stuff, but it does not use the full width of the screen - the width is significantly smaller than the screen width. See my photos to see what I'm talking about. Also, when in full screen mode, the video sometimes has a green cast to it, though not always. So the best I can do is to hide the Windows taskbar, minimize anything in the background, and put up a black desktop wallpaper. It's ridiculous and basically not usable.

I've had trouble playing them full screen before, but I'm just now getting around to asking about this. So it's not a new problem. It's also not just for one movie. I tested it on 3 of them just now and it behaved the same.

Is there any fix? Or is there another way to play these purchased movies and TV shows? I know the files are saved on the computer in the iTunes media folder, but they don't play in other video players like the default Windows Movies & TV player or VLC. Is that due to copy protection?

I appreciate any input.

Full Screen mode-

Not full screen mode-

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 9:10 AM

Hello hikingmike,

Although it would differ depending on your computer screen size, you can show the iTunes window in full screen by completing the steps listed here: Customize the iTunes window on PC - Apple Support that are also below.

"Show the iTunes window in full-screen view

• To enter full-screen view in the iTunes app  on your PC, click the full-screen button at the top-right corner of the iTunes window.
  • To exit full-screen view, click the exit full-screen button at the top-right corner of the iTunes window."

Best regards.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2023 9:10 AM in response to hikingmike

Hello hikingmike,

Although it would differ depending on your computer screen size, you can show the iTunes window in full screen by completing the steps listed here: Customize the iTunes window on PC - Apple Support that are also below.

"Show the iTunes window in full-screen view

• To enter full-screen view in the iTunes app  on your PC, click the full-screen button at the top-right corner of the iTunes window.
  • To exit full-screen view, click the exit full-screen button at the top-right corner of the iTunes window."

Best regards.

Jan 24, 2023 5:03 PM in response to hikingmike

Good afternoon hikingmike,

Have you updated your computer to the most recent version of iTunes on your PC?

Update to the latest version of iTunes for Windows 10

You may need to look at your Windows settings to hide the dock, and also change the resolution of the display to give you a larger iTunes window on the monitor.

View display settings in Windows

How to use the taskbar in Windows

Take care.

Jan 24, 2023 2:40 PM in response to K_Wall44

Hi K_Wall44, thank you for the reply. Using that button worked a little better, but it is still not full screen. The video now uses all of the screen except for the taskbar at the bottom. See my new attached photo. Usually when I hit the full screen button on a video playing in some other app, it truly uses the full screen with no other items showing.

Jan 25, 2023 5:01 PM in response to judysings

Hey, thanks for the reply, judysings!

Update iTunes…

I checked and I have iTunes version 12.12.7.1 through the Microsoft store. Your link says that it updates automatically that way so I’m guessing that is the most recent version. 

Hide the dock…

Yes I could have the taskbar hidden. I gave that a try and only a thin white line shows at the bottom then. But then I would have to change the setting before/after each time I wanted to watch a movie. It’s doable I guess, but strange. At least that’s an option.

Resolution…

”change the resolution of the display to give you a larger iTunes window on the monitor”

I’m not sure how this would help. The movie window that pops up when I hit play is somewhat resizable. But I also don’t want to change to a resolution that’s not native for my screen because things don’t look good then.

iTunes can't play full screen video for purchased movies and TV shows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.