Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't backup iPad because screen is dead

I bought a new iPad because the screen went dead on my old one. I want to back up the old one in iTunes but I am unable to respond on my iPad to trust the computer because of the screen.

Is there any way around this or am I S.O.L.?

As an update to this, I think I somehow got it to trust the computer but now all I get is this screen with no option to backup. When I hit cancel it goes back to iTunes but the iPad icon does not exist where it should.

Thanks

iPad 2

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 3:57 PM

2 replies

Jan 18, 2023 9:52 AM in response to Richro65

Hi there Richro65,

If you have iCloud backup enabled on your previous iPad, it should automatically back it up as long as there is enough storage space, the screen is locked, its connect to Wi-Fi, and is connected to charge. If you'd like, you can read more about iCloud backups here: How to back up your iPhone or iPad with iCloud - Apple Support

If your iPad wasn't used with the computer before and you're unable to respond to the trust this computer prompt on the iPad, then you won't be able to complete a backup with the computer.

What you are seeing on the computer screen is what you'd see when setting up an iPad. There isn't a way to backup the iPad from that screen.

Take care.

Jan 18, 2023 9:34 AM in response to Richro65

Ideally you would have backed up the old iPod periodically to both iTunes and iCloud, to give yourself recovery options in just this sort of scenario. Set up as new device is needed to give your computer permission to connect to the device, but is likely to require that you also tap the screen to trust the computer, so it may well be impossible to back it up at this late stage.

tt2

Can't backup iPad because screen is dead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.