Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages does not allow for unlimited number of 'Open Recents'

(Mac Studio if that matters)

I have been creating dozens and dozens of documents in Pages. But I can't recall all of the names as sometimes I get creative in naming them. Spotlight is of limited use when I do this. How can I see the full list of documents I have created in Pages other than 'Open Recent'?

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 6:00 AM

8 replies

Jan 18, 2023 6:49 AM in response to OutsideShooter

VikingOSX,

Thanks

Let me ask: "The Open Recents sub-menu is a first in, last out replacement stack that you can configure how many recents appear in that sub-menu."

How to configure how many recents?

Next "In macOS Ventura Settings > Desktop & Dock, there is a selector for Recent documents, applications, and servers. The extremes are None, or 50 as the Max."

Does this mean 'Open Recents' is inclusive but not exclusive to that number of 50?

Good solution for finding Pages documents using < and > typographical symbols. Is there a hotkey for this?

Jan 18, 2023 6:53 AM in response to OutsideShooter

How to configure how many recents?

Instructions in second paragraph of my post.

Does this mean 'Open Recents' is inclusive but not exclusive to that number of 50?

The size of that Open Recents menu will depend on your selection, with 50 being the maximum.

Good solution for finding Pages documents using < and > typographical symbols. Is there a hotkey for this?

No. Spotlight does not take keyboard shortcuts for the <, >, and - operators. Manually entered.

Jan 18, 2023 6:37 AM in response to OutsideShooter

The Open Recents sub-menu is a first in, last out replacement stack that you can configure how many recents appear in that sub-menu. Before you embark on the second paragraph, save your open document and quit Pages.

In macOS Ventura Settings > Desktop & Dock, there is a selector for Recent documents, applications, and servers. The extremes are None, or 50 as the Max. On macOS Monterey and earlier, the same configuration setting is in System Preferences > General.

Pages documents that are removed from the system remain in the Recents stack until they are replaced by newer

entries.

If you open a Terminal window and in its search field, you enter the following syntax, it will find Pages documents prior (<), after (>), or between (-) dates. There is one Spotlight date format.

kind:pages created:<01/18/2023
kind:pages created:>01/01/2023
kind:pages created:09/01/2022-01/18/2023
kind:pages font:cormorant

The latter will find any Pages document that included the custom installed OpenType Postscript Cormorant Garamond font in it.

Jan 18, 2023 12:41 PM in response to OutsideShooter

You are restricted to 50 max open recent items. As more recent documents are opened and saved, the oldest documents on the list of 50 will be replaced.

If you want to find n-tuple Pages documents > 50 wherever they may be on your Mac, use the Finder Window search field choices as I suggested earlier to narrow your search results.

Jumping from Finder to the Terminal just complicates things if you are not comfortable in the Terminal. Spotlight can be used in the Terminal with the mdfind command and a knowledge of Spotlight syntax different from what I shared earlier. Even the Zsh shell would let you find Pages documents for a given timeframe and then restrict the number of documents it returned to you.

In the Zsh shell (Terminal) you can retrieve all Pages documents that were modified in the last 4 weeks sorted by their last access date and only ask for the two most recent:

for f in ~/Desktop/*.pages(.Nmw-4oa[1,2]);
do
   print "${f}"
done

Jan 19, 2023 2:30 AM in response to OutsideShooter

If you have Pages selected in Ventura's Settings > username > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options, then Pages by default will save to that Pages folder on iCloud Drive. Since I do not have a new Mac with a first ever Pages installation, I cannot test where it would otherwise save by default. Pages is designed to remember the last saved location (across multiple documents) until you manually change that to another save location.

Depending on what you did when you initially setup that Mac Studio, your Documents and Desktop folders may be stored on iCloud, or local to your Mac, and that may have a bearing on Pages save behavior too. I always choose local drive.

Jan 19, 2023 5:49 AM in response to VikingOSX

So far all of my Pages documents are being added to Finder>Documents, in addition to the list within the Pages app. I'll see if that continues since I have made no changes and I don't see any reason for that to change when it reaches the number 50. That as it appears only will happen within Pages.

And yes iCloud Drive is on. Within the next week I'll be turning off Maximize iCloud Storage by opting for an OWC Envoy Pro SSD 1TB for TM backup. I prefer to have backups in my possession, some do, some don't.

Thanks very much for your help in this matter

Pages does not allow for unlimited number of 'Open Recents'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.