Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

"Open Recent" Why doesn't this save my recently opened files anymore?

Mac Sonoma 14.0

Pages 13.2

I've used a Mac for many years. I've always been able to go into Pages, Keynote or Numbers and click on the third selection down under file called "Open Recent" and then find the most recent files I've been working on. The current "solution" for this question does not work because the Preferences has changed in newer versions. Also I have a feeling my issue is in the root files under library and not just a problem with checking a box.

Does anyone have experience with this and know how to fix it?

The issue exists for all of my iWork. If I go to "Recent Files" in my finder menu that works fine. I'm taking about inside the actually apps.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Nov 2, 2023 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2023 12:36 PM

You are welcome. With Ventura and Sonoma, Apple redesigned the System Preferences panel layouts and made it WTF for finding things. Now, it is easier to search for things on the Settings panel than guess where the are:

Clicking the above takes you to that Control Center panel where you can find the Recent items setting at the bottom.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2023 12:36 PM in response to Mpagano01

You are welcome. With Ventura and Sonoma, Apple redesigned the System Preferences panel layouts and made it WTF for finding things. Now, it is easier to search for things on the Settings panel than guess where the are:

Clicking the above takes you to that Control Center panel where you can find the Recent items setting at the bottom.

Nov 2, 2023 9:53 AM in response to Mpagano01

In Sonoma 14.0/1, visit System Settings : Control Center panel and at the bottom ensure that Recent documents, applications, and servers is not set to None. After you set that, it is requires that you open, save, or close new documents to populate that recent stack. It is not historical.

The count you settle on controls the number of recent items shown an application's Open Recent menu. Files you may have moved to the Trash and removed will remain in this dynamic stack until they fall off of it.

"Open Recent" Why doesn't this save my recently opened files anymore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.