Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pictures not included in email when forwarded or replying.

Prior to the last update of Ventura 13.1, I would send emails with text & pictures. Then forward the same email with the pictures remaining as content. Now when I send a picture to my iPad from Mac for Photoshop, it no longer is available, just the computer title.

Now the pictures are reduced to the title & number. I looked under preferences and don't see anything I can change. I want the pictures available. I work with pictures a lot and this is not good.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

iPad Pro, 16

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 1:04 PM

Understood cwatson50. There is also a setting in Mac Mail that sets your preference for attachments without having to decide with each one you forward.

With the Mail app open choose Edit > "Include Attachments With Replies”. Then select which option works best for you. See if that gives you the results you expect.

If you’re still unable to reply with the full photo attached, please restart your Mac in safe mode and test the issue. Here’s how: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

How to use safe mode
Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:

Apple silicon
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor
1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

We also want you to be aware that restarting in safe mode may take a bit longer than usual since it prevents some software from loading and does a check of your startup disk. You may also see some graphic anomalies on your screen as well.

Once your Mac is in safe mode, test the issue. Whether or not it happens while in safe mode, restart your Mac normally to exit.

If it didn’t happen while in safe mode, test again after the normal restart.

Please let us know the results when you're able.

All the best.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2023 1:04 PM in response to cwatson50

Understood cwatson50. There is also a setting in Mac Mail that sets your preference for attachments without having to decide with each one you forward.

With the Mail app open choose Edit > "Include Attachments With Replies”. Then select which option works best for you. See if that gives you the results you expect.

If you’re still unable to reply with the full photo attached, please restart your Mac in safe mode and test the issue. Here’s how: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

How to use safe mode
Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:

Apple silicon
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor
1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

We also want you to be aware that restarting in safe mode may take a bit longer than usual since it prevents some software from loading and does a check of your startup disk. You may also see some graphic anomalies on your screen as well.

Once your Mac is in safe mode, test the issue. Whether or not it happens while in safe mode, restart your Mac normally to exit.

If it didn’t happen while in safe mode, test again after the normal restart.

Please let us know the results when you're able.

All the best.

Jan 22, 2023 2:55 PM in response to cwatson50

Hi cwatson50,

From what you've shared it sounds like you're attempting to share content between your Mac and iPad. There are multiple methods you can use to accomplish this. The easiest steps can be found here: Use Messages and Mail to share photos from Photos on Mac - Apple Support

"Use Mail to share photos

1. In the Photos app  on your Mac, select the photos you want to send.
  2. You can send photos from your photo library or an album, but not from a slideshow or a project.
  3. Click the Share button  in the toolbar and choose Mail.
  4. Mail opens a mail message with your photos attached.
  5. Type the recipient’s email address in the To field, then type a subject line in the Subject field.
  6. Type a message and choose an image size from the Image Size pop-up menu if you want, then click Send."

You can also find steps to keep all content up-to-date using iCloud here: Change your iCloud settings - Apple Support

Take care.

Jan 23, 2023 8:06 AM in response to cwatson50

Hello cwatson50,

You may find the direction from article, Reply to, forward, or follow up on emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support helpful. Under section: Reply to or forward emails, you'll find full details on how to include your attachments from the original email to your forwarded one under step #4.

Reply to or forward emails

1. In the Mail app  on your Mac, select a message in the message list.

To include just a portion of the original message in your reply, select the text to include.

If you select the top message in a conversation, all of the messages in the conversation are selected.

2. Move the pointer over the message header, then click one of the following buttons:

- Reply  to reply to just the sender.
- Reply All  to reply to the sender and the other recipients.
- Forward  to choose new recipients.

You can add or remove recipients as needed.

3. Add your text.

If you included the original message, vertical bars (called quotation bars) may appear next to it.

You can make your text appear as quotations:

- Add quotation bars to your text: Choose Format > Quote Level > Increase or Format > Quote Level > Decrease. This also changes the quote level at which selected text appears.

- Paste text as quoted text: Choose Edit > Paste as Quotation. 

4. If the original message contains attachments, decide whether to include them: 

- Include attachments: Click the Include Attachment button  in the toolbar of the message window or choose Edit > Attachments > Include Original Attachments in Reply.

- Exclude attachments: Click the Exclude Attachment button  in the toolbar of the message window or choose Message > Remove Attachments.

- Choose attachments settings for all replies: Choose Edit > Include Attachments With Replies, then select an option.
5. When you’re ready, click the Send button 

If you prefer to always omit the original message from your replies, choose Mail > Settings, click Composing, then deselect “Quote the text of the original message.”

Please let us know if this helps!

Best regards.

Jan 23, 2023 8:19 AM in response to Missy5937

Thank you for you detailed reply. However, I never had to make any adjustments, click an extra button, or highlight anything to forward content of my email. I think at one time in preferences there was a box to click to include content when forwarding. Now I get this. See picture included. There is a title: "image.png". I want the actual picture to be included. All my Apple years I have had this. ????

Jan 22, 2023 4:05 PM in response to Drew_7

I don't think I explained my issue well enough. I can send any picture, drag & drop, from Photos.

I have iCloud selected to share between devices. Previously, to last update I had no issue.

Now if I send a pic to someone & then ( if I left off an address) I forward that same email the picture is not there. Only the title like "image 449" as an example. I thought it was "include content when forwarding". I can no longer find any option pertaining to that in preferences.

I deal in a lot of pictures & counted on that option. Thanks for your reply and effort to find an answer to my dliemma.

Jan 24, 2023 5:20 AM in response to SnickZ.

Thank you! You are correct. This works, using the edit button. I know it's spitting in the wind but why does Apple change the simple with the complex. It was the same when there was a simple process to block callers on iPhone, now they have to be in your contacts. Or that was the last time I looked at it and no longer attempt to block but I am sure there is a well informed person here to let me know the best way. Thank you all for great information, detailed responses. No longer frustrated. 😁

Pictures not included in email when forwarded or replying.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.