Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro (2012) will not restart

I need to carry out an essential software update (just to Mojave 10.14)

I downloaded the software ok but it must restart in order to complete. Any help really appreciated! Thank you

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 1:11 PM

What specific update? How did you access & download this update?

Try booting into Safe Mode to see if the update will install. If this works, then it most likely means you have some third party software installed which is interfering with the normal operation of macOS. Usual culprits are anti-virus apps, cleaning/optimizer apps, or third party security software....none of which are needed on a Mac.

At what point do you encounter the problem? Does the laptop actually close out the current macOS session? Does the startup chime occur during the reboot (assuming the volume/audio is not too low or muted)?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2023 1:11 PM in response to HannahCaswall

What specific update? How did you access & download this update?

Try booting into Safe Mode to see if the update will install. If this works, then it most likely means you have some third party software installed which is interfering with the normal operation of macOS. Usual culprits are anti-virus apps, cleaning/optimizer apps, or third party security software....none of which are needed on a Mac.

At what point do you encounter the problem? Does the laptop actually close out the current macOS session? Does the startup chime occur during the reboot (assuming the volume/audio is not too low or muted)?

My MacBook Pro (2012) will not restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.