Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't connect new Appletv 4K to Samsung Q990B Soundbar WIRELESSLY neither via bluetooth nor airplay.

This is going to be more like a statement since I think I've done everything I could (ıncluding speanding hours on the phone with both Apple and Samsung services).

You can't connect these two via bluetooth, you get this message when you try ' Error, Make sure Q990B is turned on and in range.' I can connect every other apple device but this new Apple tv4k.

So I try to use airplay in oder to connect this two wirelessly. You go to 'Video and audio' then to 'Audio output' and I have to choose Q990B under 'TEMPORARY AUDIO OUTPUT'. After I do it it looks like that I've choosen Q990B but once I go back and play anything on netflix or amazon prime it goes back to 'tv speakers'. And why do I have to choose as 'temporary output' and do it all over again each time I turn my system on is another stupidity.

The only exception is that if I connect 2022 Apple tv 4k to Q990B through hdmi and then go ahead and go to 'Video and audio' then to 'Audio output' and I choose Q990B under 'TEMPORARY AUDIO OUTPUT'. And it works. Why would I use airplay if I have to connect through hdmi????

In my setup I have a projector, 2022 apple tv 4k and Samsung Q990B and there is no way to connect these two wirelessly. And I know it is the Apple tv 4K that is creating the problem because I can see on Samsung's Smartthings app that it goes to airplay once I try connecting via airplay. If anybody solved this mistery please answer this thread. Thank you.

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2023 8:45 PM

Thanks for your quicky response, and your answer is helpful! Hopefully more people can see this thread.

There are still a few quesitons,

1. why is the apple tv not able to connect to Samsung q990b via bluetooth? It shows ' Error, Make sure Q990B is turned on and in range.' However, I have no problem with my iphone, so it shouldn't be the problem with my soundbar.
  2. Why can't I set the default audio output to soundbar? It's nonsense to unplug and plug everytime I turn on the TV.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2023 8:45 PM in response to jazzabana

Thanks for your quicky response, and your answer is helpful! Hopefully more people can see this thread.

There are still a few quesitons,

1. why is the apple tv not able to connect to Samsung q990b via bluetooth? It shows ' Error, Make sure Q990B is turned on and in range.' However, I have no problem with my iphone, so it shouldn't be the problem with my soundbar.
  2. Why can't I set the default audio output to soundbar? It's nonsense to unplug and plug everytime I turn on the TV.

Jan 24, 2023 1:03 PM in response to jazzabana

Hi jazzabana,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you're unable to connect your soundbar to Apple TV. For this to work, you will need to connect your soundbar using an HDMI cable.

"Set up Dolby Atmos or surround sound

1. Make sure that you connect your Apple TV 4K directly to the HDMI input on your sound bar or AV receiver with an HDMI cable. Most televisions don't support Dolby Atmos pass-through to sound bars and receivers.*
  2. Image showing an HDMI cable connecting into the HDMI input--the middle input--in an Apple TV. The other end of the cable connects to the HDMI In input on your television.

3. Plug one end of an HDMI cable into the HDMI output on your sound bar or AV receiver. Then plug the other end of the HDMI cable into the HDMI input on your television."
  4. Image showing an HDMI cable connecting to HDMI OUT on the back of a sound bar/AV receiver, and connecting to the HDMI port on a TV.

These steps are mentioned in Set up Dolby Atmos or surround sound on Apple TV with a sound bar or AV receiver.

Regards.

Feb 12, 2023 9:12 PM in response to jazzabana

There r no logical answers to ur questions. Sorry.

1. I think it is compatibility issues, one has tvos and the other one has android working in the background. Other apple devices r usually ios, I guess. That might be the reason why we can connect other apple devices via bluetooth but not the apple tv.
  2. This is the most ridicilous thing that I have ever seen, not being able to switch default audio output.

I think it is because they want you to have sound no matter what. So they made tv(default) be automatically chosen. And it is causing the problem.

You may plug ur apple tv to a remote controlled outlet adapter to make it easy.

Actually mine usually stays on airplay, the only time is if I use spotify connect and go back to airplay, it automatically switches back to tv(default) and if I play a video on youtube after I switch to q990b airplay. Otherwise if I only go back and fort inbetween amazonprime video and netflix it usually stays on airplay.

Feb 12, 2023 8:36 PM in response to weixing92

Well, only way to do it, is via airplay.

And when it disconnects and goes back to tv(default) automatically, the only solution I could come up with was unplugging and pluging ur appletv back in.

(I think that is the source of the problem actually that tv speakers are default.)

And you go to audio output and select q990b again.

And nothing changed with the recent update. They probably can fix it but first they need to acknowledge the problem.(fingers crossed).

You can ask me more if you want to. I am handy with this kind of stuff. At least I would read ur message b4 answering it.

Peace.

I can't connect new Appletv 4K to Samsung Q990B Soundbar WIRELESSLY neither via bluetooth nor airplay.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.