Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine not connecting to Air Port time capsule (on a network) for over 1 month. I can see/connect to the time capsule via Airport utility. I checked for an update and restarted the time capsule but Time Machine still won't connect to back up.

Time Machine not connecting to Air Port time capsule (on a network) for over 1 month. I can see/connect to the time capsule via Airport utility. I checked for an update and restarted the time capsule but Time Machine still won't connect to back up.

Any ideas?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 3:15 PM

Thanks for the info.

Try resetting the Time Machine backup destination. To do that......

Click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Click on Open Time Machine Settings

Click on the current backup disk......likely named "Data".....to highlight it

Click the - (minus) button at the bottom of the window

Click Forget Destination

Close the windows

Restart your Mac

Run through the sequence above to select "Data" as the Time Machine backup disk

Check in 30-60 minutes to see if a backup has begun.

Because it has been a month since the last backup, you may see "Preparing" a long time before the actual backup will begin. Let "Preparing" run until the backup begins or until you see an error message.

If an error message appears, please post back with the exact text of the message.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2023 3:15 PM in response to rhwolfson

Thanks for the info.

Try resetting the Time Machine backup destination. To do that......

Click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Click on Open Time Machine Settings

Click on the current backup disk......likely named "Data".....to highlight it

Click the - (minus) button at the bottom of the window

Click Forget Destination

Close the windows

Restart your Mac

Run through the sequence above to select "Data" as the Time Machine backup disk

Check in 30-60 minutes to see if a backup has begun.

Because it has been a month since the last backup, you may see "Preparing" a long time before the actual backup will begin. Let "Preparing" run until the backup begins or until you see an error message.

If an error message appears, please post back with the exact text of the message.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.