Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CalDigit TS3Plus Thunderbolt Dock ethernet to FritzBox 7590 is only 100mbit after reboot on Ventura 13.1

Hey you clever folks,

I've got a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) running Ventura 13.1 connected to a CalDigit TS3Plus Dock, which connects via a 4 meter cat6e cable to a FritzBox 7590.

After a reboot, the ethernet connection auto-configures itself as 100mbit. If I disconnect and reconnect the ethernet cable, it correctly configures as gigabit.

If I visit Settings/Network/Thunderbolt Ethernet Slot 0/Details/Hardware and change it to Manual configuration at 1000baseT... the connection is disconnected and reconnected, and testing shows it's *still* connected at 100mbit. It stays 100mbit after reboot as well. (Edit: Weird additional detail - if, after physically reconnecting the cable and verifying that it's working at gigabit speeds, I switch to Manual configuration and explicitly set it to 1000baseT, it reconnects... at 100mbit. Same thing if I switch back from Manual to Automatic - forced down to 100mbit again. So, so broken.)

I've verified the FritzBox 7590 is configured for "Power" (gigabit) on all 4 LAN ports.

Rebooting into a Windows 10 BootCamp partition, the connection correctly configures as gigabit.

I believe this started happening with the upgrade to macos Ventura, but I didn't notice the problem immediately, and then blamed it on the old ethernet cable which I've since replaced.

There is an existing question that's very similar from about a year ago: Only 100mbit Ethernet speed with an OWC T… - Apple Community BUT I didn't have a problem until more recently.

Any guesses? My workaround is to plug into a gigabit hub rather than the FritzBox directly. That setup has no issues.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 2:41 PM

Ok, for anyone who has a similar problem later: The solution was an update of Fritz!OS to 7.50.

This was somewhat frustrating, because my Fritz!Box's "Overview" page had been happily reporting "Your Fritz!OS is up to date" all along. You must click on that message (or directly visit System/Update) to force a check and discover the update.

So, two different Fritz!Box bugs. Update that thing.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2023 2:41 PM in response to sinnabor

Ok, for anyone who has a similar problem later: The solution was an update of Fritz!OS to 7.50.

This was somewhat frustrating, because my Fritz!Box's "Overview" page had been happily reporting "Your Fritz!OS is up to date" all along. You must click on that message (or directly visit System/Update) to force a check and discover the update.

So, two different Fritz!Box bugs. Update that thing.

Jan 24, 2023 6:34 PM in response to chuckbl

Ok, booted a clean install of Monterey on an external disk and... huh. The problem is still there.

So it isn't a Ventura issue. I'll give Big Sur a go and see, a bit later.

But... now that have the details in front of me, I see the FritzBox joined us about the same time as Ventura (for some reason I thought it was much earlier last year). So perhaps I should contact the FritzBox folks as you've suggested.

CalDigit TS3Plus Thunderbolt Dock ethernet to FritzBox 7590 is only 100mbit after reboot on Ventura 13.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.