Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air M1 (2020) not recognising ethernet connected via Anker PowerExpand Elite 13-in-1 Thunderbolt 3 Dock

I am struggling to get my MBA to connect to ethernet using this dock. When I go to Network Preferences and attempt to add a service, it gives me the option to select "Thunderbolt Bridge" as the interface but I do that and it just shows as "Not Connected".

I can successfully connect to ethernet by plugging my ethernet cable in via a separate ethernet to USB-C adaptor, but I want to connect to it via the dock.

Anyone know what I need to do to be able to add it this way and get my MBA to recognise the connection?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 11:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 7:33 AM

Well, it seems to have sorted itself now.

After unplugging my dock and switching back to using the ethernet connection plugged in via an adaptor directly into the Mac, I noticed the ethernet connection was no longer being recognised that way either. I therefore restarted the Mac, and fortunately the ethernet connection re-appeared and re-connected

I then tried unplugging the separate ethernet connection and plugging the dock back in. At that point, the Mac suddenly found the ethernet connection from the dock.

So now all seems well and my MacBook Air is properly connecting to ethernet via the dock.

I'll just need to see if the connection remains now, but will keep my fingers crossed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2021 7:33 AM in response to rberman

Well, it seems to have sorted itself now.

After unplugging my dock and switching back to using the ethernet connection plugged in via an adaptor directly into the Mac, I noticed the ethernet connection was no longer being recognised that way either. I therefore restarted the Mac, and fortunately the ethernet connection re-appeared and re-connected

I then tried unplugging the separate ethernet connection and plugging the dock back in. At that point, the Mac suddenly found the ethernet connection from the dock.

So now all seems well and my MacBook Air is properly connecting to ethernet via the dock.

I'll just need to see if the connection remains now, but will keep my fingers crossed.

Jul 21, 2021 4:48 AM in response to PRP_53

Well Anker advertise it as compatible with MacBook Air 2020 so I assumed it was. There are plenty of reviews of the docking station - none of which suggest is not compatible with the newer M1 Macs.

I did consider the CalDigit TS3 Plus but I need the docking station to also work with my work Windows laptop. However, my work laptop only has USB-C and not Thunderbolt 3. As such, the CalDigit won't work with it even if it works with my Mac.

Incidentally the ethernet connects fine with I use the docking station with my work laptop.

How can I find out if the Anker docking station is definitely compatible with the M1 MacBook Air? Maybe its only fully compatible with the older Intel-based Macs? I've not seen anything in any reviews to suggest that, however.

MacBook Air M1 (2020) not recognising ethernet connected via Anker PowerExpand Elite 13-in-1 Thunderbolt 3 Dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.