Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime cuts every 20 minutes

I am working remotely and my MacBook Pro is connected by ethernet to my router. The wifi is off. Until November, I had no disconnection issues but since December, I get disconnected every 20 minutes from my FaceTime calls. When I try to reconnect, the first time does not work and I have to reconnect a second time. Then disconnection again after 20 minutes.

I have a 100/50 fiber connection to the web. I have run a continuous ping from my second computer while having my conversation and no network cut during that time.

I have reinstalled Ventura 13.1 just in case but no change. My disk is only 48% full. I have 16MB live memory.

Any ideas ? Thanks

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 2:44 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jan 26, 2023 10:02 AM in response to hugues-olivier

Hello hugues-olivier,

Just to ensure we're on the same page, when you say the FaceTime cuts, do you mean the call drops? We understand that you're not seeing any disconnect from your other Mac, but what are you seeing as far as network behavior on the Mac that the FaceTime call is being made from? Were you able to see if the same behavior occurs when this specific Mac is connected to a different network? These details will help us isolate things a bit more.

In the meantime, macOS 13.2 has been released since you posted this. These updates often include fixes for unexpected behavior, so installing it may help. Update macOS on Mac covers backing up and updating your Mac.

1. "From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Settings or System Preferences.
    • If you chose System Settings, click General on the left side of the window. Then click Software Update on the right.
    • If you chose System Preferences, click Software Update in the window.
  1. Software Update then checks for new software. 
    • If Software Update finds new software, click the button to install it. The button might be named Update Now, Upgrade Now, Install Now, or Restart Now, for example. You might then be asked to enter your administrator password.
    • If Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, then no new software is currently available for your Mac model. Software Update shows only software that is compatible with your Mac."

Software Update window in macOS Monterey

Take care.

Jan 27, 2023 8:01 AM in response to hugues-olivier

hugues-olivier,

Thanks. Next, create a new, test user account on your Mac to see if the issue remains in that new account.

Add a user or group on Mac - Apple Support

"Add a user

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Users & Groups  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Click the Add Account button below the list of users on the right (you may be asked to enter your password.)
  3. Click the New Account pop-up menu, then choose a type of user.
    • Administrator: An administrator can add and manage other users, install apps, and change settings. The new user you create when you first set up your Mac is an administrator. Your Mac can have multiple administrators. You can create new ones, and convert standard users to administrators. Don’t set up automatic login for an administrator. If you do, someone could simply restart your Mac and gain access with administrator privileges. To keep your Mac secure, don’t share administrator names and passwords.
    • Standard: Standard users are set up by an administrator. Standard users can install apps and change their own settings, but can’t add other users or change other users’ settings.
    • Sharing Only: Sharing-only users can access shared files remotely, but can’t log in to the computer or change settings. To give the user permission to access your shared files or screen, you may need to change options in File Sharing, Screen Sharing, or Remote Management settings. See Set up file sharing and Share the screen of another Mac.
  1. For more information about the options for each type of user, click the Help button in the lower-left corner of the dialog.
  2. Enter a full name for the new user. An account name is generated automatically. To use a different account name, enter it now—you can’t change it later.
  3. Enter a password for the user, then enter it again to verify. Enter a password hint to help the user remember their password.
  4. Click Create User.
  5. Depending on the type of user you create, you can also do any of the following:
    • For an administrator, select “Allow user to administer this computer.”
    • Select “Allow user to reset password using Apple ID.” To use this option, the user must have set up iCloud on this Mac. However, this option isn’t available if FileVault is turned on and set to allow the user to reset their password at startup using their Apple ID.
  • Use Sharing settings to specify whether the user can share your files and share your screen.
  • For information about Apple’s privacy policy, see the Apple Privacy Policy website.

Take care.

Jan 27, 2023 11:24 AM in response to hugues-olivier

Thanks for following up to let us know, hugues-olivier,

If you're unable to sign into FaceTime in the new user account, this may help you: If you can't sign in to your iMessage account or FaceTime on your Mac - Apple Support

Also, check out this resource which explains how to troubleshoot FaceTime connectivity: If FaceTime isn't working on your Mac - Apple Support

"If you need help with your connection or call quality

A slow or busy Wi-Fi network might cause issues with your FaceTime call. If you experience connection alerts, or low-quality audio or video, or an exclamation point  over a video tile:

• Make sure that you and your recipient have a fast Wi-Fi or cellular connection. FaceTime calls over Wi-Fi require a broadband connection.
  • Check for issues that might be slowing down your connection, such as someone streaming content over your network.
  • If you have questions about your internet speed, contact your internet service provider."

If you happen to have any VPN or security software installed on your Mac, you may consider removing it as it can impact your internet connection: Check VPN (Virtual Private Network) and third-party software to help resolve network connectivity issues - Apple Support

"Check basic settings on your device

Start by checking some basic settings:

• Make sure the date, time, and time zone are set accurately on your device. Learn how to set the date and time on your MaciPhoneiPad, or iPod touch.
  • Make sure your device's software is up to date. Install any available software updates and then restart your device. 
  • Restart your modem and router. 
  • Try switching to another network. If your connectivity issue is resolved by joining a different network, check with your Internet Service Provider (ISP) or network administrator to make sure your network is working properly for the features and apps you want to use."

If you're still unable to maintain a FaceTime call, you may consider reaching out to Apple directly to investigate this further. You can find their contact details here: Apple Support

We hope this helps you.

Kind regards.

Jan 24, 2023 6:38 PM in response to hugues-olivier

Hi hugues-olivier,

We'll be glad to look into this with you further. The next easiest thing to try would be to see if this happens when using another network. There could be a fault with the router or any other device on your network that causes it to loose the connection after 20 minutes.

Generally, there's nothing on the Mac itself that should cause it to drop out.

You can try connecting to another network by following the steps in Connect to the internet with your Mac - Apple Support

We hope this helps.

Cheers.

Jan 26, 2023 9:18 AM in response to jmarse1

Hello;

So happy that you answered me. I have done the following :

1. I have run a continuous ping on my router. No breaks in the line.
  2. I have done a long conversation with friends using my wife's MacBook Pro connected on our wifi. No cuts for 90 minutes.
  3. I have done a FT conversation using my MacBook Pro using the ethernet connection. Cut after 19 minutes
  4. I have done a FT conversation with my Mac Book Pro using the wifi connection. Cut after 15 minutes
  5. I have done a FT conversation between my wife's MBP and mine over the wifi. Cut after 16 minutes

So I am thinking my MBP is at fault and nothing else. What do you think ?

I am currently in South Africa until April 12th and I cannot have a straight conversation with my contacts.

Thanks for your help

Jan 27, 2023 7:15 AM in response to mario49

Hello again,

I have installed 13.2 Ventura as you said. Did this last night. This morning, unfortunately, the problem occurred again 3 times while I was in discussion each time after 20 minutes of uninterrupted FaceTime conversation.

The sequence of disconnection/reconnection is always the same :

1. We are talking on FaceTime with my contact. The FaceTime screen freezes and becomes whitish with an exclamation in a triangle in the screen center
  2. Then the triangle disappears and a rotating white wheel replaces it for 20 seconds
  3. Then the call is off but the FaceTime app is still on.
  4. Then I call the person again right away, they answer and we talk for 20 minutes then back to point 1

It does not happen with my wife's MBP who is on the same network.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards

FaceTime cuts every 20 minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.