Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate dropdown in photos

Duplicate photos. I down loaded Ventura on Saturday. The duplicate photo DID show up in the side bar. I tried to get it to bring up duplicates. Nothing happened. I turned off computer and this morning when I opened it up again all the duplicates where there. 670 or more. AnywayI started merging the duplicates one at a time, and realized that would take forever. So I looked up how to delete all at once. A drop down bar showed up, (after watching a youtube video) and I had the option to ddelete all duplicates. Then to be sure all duplicates were gone I went back to sidebar and now the duplicate menu or whatever it is called is missing. Does it come back when there are more duplicates or what?

Jane

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 3:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 8:57 AM

The duplicates Album will not be shown, if Photos has not yet found any duplicates. It does not necessarily mean, that there are no duplicates, only that Photos has not yet finished to scan for additional duplicates.

And the Duplicates album will be missing, if you have enabled the Shared iCloud Photos Library and are not viewing "Both Libraries". It is only shown, when we are viewing the joined library - both the shared library and the personal library to gather.

For my library, I have seen a Duplicates album two weeks after the upgrade to Ventura, and then Photos stopped presenting further duplicates. It still has not found any additional duplicates, but is showing this message at the bottom of the Duplicates album:

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2023 8:57 AM in response to Tsatsu

The duplicates Album will not be shown, if Photos has not yet found any duplicates. It does not necessarily mean, that there are no duplicates, only that Photos has not yet finished to scan for additional duplicates.

And the Duplicates album will be missing, if you have enabled the Shared iCloud Photos Library and are not viewing "Both Libraries". It is only shown, when we are viewing the joined library - both the shared library and the personal library to gather.

For my library, I have seen a Duplicates album two weeks after the upgrade to Ventura, and then Photos stopped presenting further duplicates. It still has not found any additional duplicates, but is showing this message at the bottom of the Duplicates album:

Duplicate dropdown in photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.