Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard and trackpad

I have recently been having an issue on my older macbook pro. When i turn on the device my cursor is locked on the top left part of the screen and the trackpad won’t let me move it. If i plug in my mouse then i can move the cursor around but my keyboard also doesn’t work. So i cannot type my password in. As far as i can tell the only button that registers is the power button. When this first started i would turn my computer off and on and it would usually fix itself right away. But for the past few days no matter how many times i reset or shut down it wont let me use my keys. Has anyone had a problem similar if so what did you do. I was supposed to have a meeting at the genius bar today but they just canceled and i have to fix this asap because of school work

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 8:33 AM

Shivzs wrote:

I have recently been having an issue on my older macbook pro. When i turn on the device my cursor is locked on the top left part of the screen and the trackpad won’t let me move it. If i plug in my mouse then i can move the cursor around but my keyboard also doesn’t work. So i cannot type my password in. As far as i can tell the only button that registers is the power button. When this first started i would turn my computer off and on and it would usually fix itself right away. But for the past few days no matter how many times i reset or shut down it wont let me use my keys. Has anyone had a problem similar if so what did you do. I was supposed to have a meeting at the genius bar today but they just canceled and i have to fix this asap because of school work

Try a cable connected external keyboard as well...this will get you by in your situation

You do not say what exact Mac this is...

However what I can say the trackpad/keyboard cable is a shared cable— if it has fault then have the cable replaced.

Any computer repair shop that works on Mac can help do the work

Apple store will diagnosis but may well refuse to do any work on an older machine:

see vintage and obsolete:

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired ...

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2023 8:33 AM in response to Shivzs

Shivzs wrote:

Try a cable connected external keyboard as well...this will get you by in your situation

You do not say what exact Mac this is...

However what I can say the trackpad/keyboard cable is a shared cable— if it has fault then have the cable replaced.

Any computer repair shop that works on Mac can help do the work

Apple store will diagnosis but may well refuse to do any work on an older machine:

see vintage and obsolete:

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired ...

Keyboard and trackpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.