Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4RFV Keys not Working, but work after computer restart

I have an issue of the 4RFV keys no responding to key presses on my Macbook Pro. Mine is the pro right before the M1 laptop. It must be a software issue, presumably related to an OS update. Prior to Ventura I never had this issue. It happens when I close my laptop and then reopen it later (something I regularly do as a college student between classes). However, it is not hardware related as whenI restart and/or shutdown my laptop it fixes the issues until another incident of closing my laptop. That being said it doesn't happen all of the time, but enough to be quite annoying. I don't want to simply go back to older software, but would rather the issue be figured out. Wondering if it is the browser I use: Opera GX. It also may be time to take it into the apple store, but unfortunately I require my laptop for school use.

Anyways, any suggestion is taken. I don't want to revert to Monteray or an older version as that is not a permanent solution.

Thanks,

Grayson

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 11:51 AM

I'm not sure why exactly, but the issue had to do solely with the browser Opera GX. I use it because of it's built in Adblock and VPN, but for some reason it was causing the issue of the keys not working. I have not had the issue after quitting the application entirely and using Safari again, especially since the recent updates to extensions on safari. Thanks for the help!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2023 11:51 AM in response to leroydouglas

I'm not sure why exactly, but the issue had to do solely with the browser Opera GX. I use it because of it's built in Adblock and VPN, but for some reason it was causing the issue of the keys not working. I have not had the issue after quitting the application entirely and using Safari again, especially since the recent updates to extensions on safari. Thanks for the help!

Jan 23, 2023 8:12 AM in response to glassxxx

glassxxx wrote:

I have an issue of the 4RFV keys no responding to key presses on my Macbook Pro.
Mine is the pro right before the M1 laptop.

It must be a software issue, presumably related to an OS update. Prior to Ventura I never had this issue. It happens when I close my laptop and then reopen it later (something I regularly do as a college student between classes).

However, it is not hardware related as whenI restart and/or shutdown my laptop it fixes the issues until another incident of closing my laptop. That being said it doesn't happen all of the time, but enough to be quite annoying. I don't want to simply go back to older software, but would rather the issue be figured out. Wondering if it is the browser I use: Opera GX. It also may be time to take it into the apple store, but unfortunately I require my laptop for school use.

Anyways, any suggestion is taken. I don't want to revert to Monteray or an older version as that is not a permanent solution.
Thanks,
Grayson

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc., third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

If no insight or resolve reinstall the macOS on top of your existing macOS

How to reinstall macOS

Recovery (both M1 and Intel) — How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

4RFV Keys not Working, but work after computer restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.