Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just upgraded from Ventura 13.1 to 13.2, and now several of my external hard drivers do not appear

I just upgraded from Ventura 13.1 to 13.2, and now several of my external hard drivers do not appear on my desktop. Everything looks okay when I boot in safe mode, and the disks show up when running Disk utility in recovery mode.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 3:58 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jan 27, 2023 2:53 PM in response to Old Toad

I have one drive that does not show up on the desktop or in the Locations sidebar of a Finder window, but if I Go to Folder, I can see it in /Volumes. Other hard drives, internal and external, show up as expected, but not this one particular USB external drive. I haven't done any more digging into it, I know it is there and my Carbon Copy Cloner does a nightly backup to that external USB drive. It is plugged into the same USB hub as another external dock/drive. When it is plugged into a USB3 port on the computer it unmounts frequently, but that is another issue.

So, for those who can't see the drive in Finder, does it still show up as a mounted /Volume if you Go to that Folder? You can Make an Alias of the /Volumes folder on your Desktop to get to those mounted drives quickly, as a work around.

For example: my OWC Backup is mounted in /Volumes, but I can't see it in any of the usual places the other hard drives show up.

Jan 24, 2023 9:12 AM in response to den.thed

Thanks - appears to be all okay - set to display external drives. Two of the five are displayed properly, but three are not. I also tried different ports on the back of the iMac and it made no difference.

This is a 2017 27" iMac, so I do not know if that makes any difference. My MacBook Pro (2019) seems to be displaying the external disks properly.

Suggestions appreciated.

Feb 2, 2023 9:33 AM in response to Glen Doggett

I have the same exact problem. I didn't notice until just today when I needed to restore a file from my backup that was created in Carbon Copy Cloner. I can access it by going to /Volumes as you suggested or even from CCC's reveal in finder, but no matter what I do, it won't show up in the sidebar or on the desktop. That said, my backups are working flawlessly, and I can copy files from it. I performed a First Aid on the drive and it said no problems. Also went into safeboot. Wouldn't show up there either. Nor did safeboot fix the problem. Is this a bug that should be reported to Apple at www.apple.com/feedback?

I'm not seeing how to create alias for it to place it on my desktop as you suggested either.????

2021 M1 iMac, Ventura 13.2

I just upgraded from Ventura 13.1 to 13.2, and now several of my external hard drivers do not appear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.