Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought a domain but can't create an email address with the name I want

Hello, I need some help!

The previous user of my domain used this domain with custom email domain with iCloud as name@name.com. Then he deleted this domain and email from his Apple ID.

The problem is that now I will not be able to create custom email with this name. I get an error that this address is already taken. How can I fix it?

I feel deceived as my goal was specifically to create this email with iCloud and only after I bought everything, Apple won't let me do it.

It seems I can still create something like name2@name.com but doesn't make sense to me since I bought the domain not for that name.

If it's for some security reason it also doesn't make sense. I fully own this domain and can set DNS records however I want, which means I already have access to any mail address for my domain.

I'm stuck on this as I want to have my main mail with this particular name. Why can't I do that? 

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 4:19 PM

Hello tom2023, 

Thank you for posting to the Apple Support Communities. 

Please be sure that you have access to the requirements for a custom email domain that are explained in the following Apple Support article that you reviewed prior to posting here: Use Custom Email Domain with iCloud Mail

If you continue to notice an issue when enabling your domain, please contact Apple Support directly for more help.

All the best! 

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2023 4:19 PM in response to Community User

Hello tom2023, 

Thank you for posting to the Apple Support Communities. 

Please be sure that you have access to the requirements for a custom email domain that are explained in the following Apple Support article that you reviewed prior to posting here: Use Custom Email Domain with iCloud Mail

If you continue to notice an issue when enabling your domain, please contact Apple Support directly for more help.

All the best! 

Feb 7, 2023 8:58 PM in response to Community User

Still can't add my address to apple id!!! This is not allowed, my phone and computer are tied to an apple id and I can't add my address to it...

I called apple support, they told me that this problem is probably due to the fact that this address was used before and they can't do anything, they told me to rename or add another address...

Not acceptable, none of them care about the problems of their users. I spent a lot of money on their devices, they got what they wanted from me and I can't...

Bought a domain but can't create an email address with the name I want

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.