Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

website icons in safari 16.3

After updating my MacBook to macOS Big Sur 11.7.3, and then updating Safari to 16.3, all website icons are lost, and saved bookmarks only appear in grey.

Upon contact with Apple Support, I have tried to empty buffer, deleting browser history, deleting the "~/Bibliotek/Safari/Favicon Cache/", reinstall macOS Big Sur 11.7.3 (after shutdown/restart w. cmd+r), ... nothing seems to help.

Apple Support Agent confirmed that the Safari/Preferences/Tabs "Show website icons in tabs" is gone?

Hoping to avoid a generel reinstallation, as I am not even sure that will help, as all of the above is similar to a reinstallation.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 9:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 11:48 AM

... have by now done the general reinstallation, after a swipe/cleaning of my MacBook.

Have read on several external (unauthorized?) support sites, that quite a few others are experiencing the very same issue, with macOS Big Sur 11.7.3/Safari 16.3, after updating, as recommended by Apple.

Apparently, the issue is non existing with later macOS's; Monterey and Ventura.

Hopefully, this will lead to another update ... quite soon?

Where and to whom, at Apple, should I turn?

Similar questions

48 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2023 11:48 AM in response to Lars2Apple

... have by now done the general reinstallation, after a swipe/cleaning of my MacBook.

Have read on several external (unauthorized?) support sites, that quite a few others are experiencing the very same issue, with macOS Big Sur 11.7.3/Safari 16.3, after updating, as recommended by Apple.

Apparently, the issue is non existing with later macOS's; Monterey and Ventura.

Hopefully, this will lead to another update ... quite soon?

Where and to whom, at Apple, should I turn?

Jan 26, 2023 5:14 AM in response to Lars2Apple

Incredibly frustrating and it makes it more difficult to select for favourites when icons are missing.

Have you come across and potential fixes on the other mentioned external sites where this has been discussed? Not sure if you are allowed to make reference to those sites, I've been looking for further comments on this but haven't come across much.

Feb 1, 2023 7:21 AM in response to Lars2Apple

Same issue here on iMac late 2014, clean install after updating to 16.3 and 0SX 11.7.3 (can't update further due to hardware). Tired of things breaking because of updates. Tried all solutions found but to no avail. Contacted support which, after an hour, resulted in being told I'd have to wait for an update. Yet again, an Apple update breaks a perfectly working machine and disrupts my workflow and only a month or so after a complete reinstall due to another broken update. More wasted time = Miffed.

Feb 5, 2023 4:53 AM in response to Lars2Apple

For what it's worth, it appears that not all favicons fail to display in Safari 16.3/Big Sur 11.7.3.

After wiping my favicons cache and trying to rebuild it by opening each site sequentially, I found that of the 26 news sites I have bookmarked, 11 regained their favicons after being opened; 11 did not; and 4 continued to show the generic "globe" icon. Of the 11 that now show favicons, 8 clearly are based outside the US, including BBS and Reuters, and some sites in South America.

The only US-based news sites to regain their icons are based near me, in North Carolina. None of this makes any sense, but I report it FYI.

Feb 9, 2023 4:07 AM in response to Lars2Apple

Having switched over from "the other lot" in 2014, this is the first software update from Apple that has gotten my goat in the same way that macro-shaft used to do pretty much every week (certainly every month. Come on Apple - why don't you guys fix the issue - 'cos trying to navigate a bunch of grey shaded squares with twiddly little bits of text that us old folk can't see very well is not just poor, it goes beyond that.

Oh, and I tried the other fixes on the web too - and they didn't work for me either.

(groans, hangs head)

Feb 9, 2023 12:57 PM in response to billymeredith

By "search engine", can I assume you mean Web browser? The search engine is an application that your web browser uses when you perform a search. Browsers and search engines need each other to do what they do, but otherwise are quite different.

So if you regained access to favicons be switching from Safari to Google's Chrome browser, that's perfectly understandable. However, if you regained access by enabling Google's search engine in Safari's preferences, that would be a thunderbolt moment.

https://www.cloudwards.net › search-engine-vs-browser

website icons in safari 16.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.