Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Homepage Favorite Icons are Gray or missing

I received the latest software update for Mac OS Big Sur Version 11.7.3. Now the icons on my homepage for favorites are gray and some are even blank or missing. How might I fix this? Screenshot shows my dilemma.

iMac

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 2:28 PM

There are several threads reporting this problem:

1. After safari update, home screen bookmark icons turned grey or empty
  2. website icons in safari 16.3
  3. Favicons gone in Safari

6 replies

Jan 31, 2023 12:07 PM in response to Ferd II

Same issue here. Everything was fine before 16.3 update on Big Sur 11.7.3 now the start page is showing grey icons instead of the .png files.

So far I’ve tried:

Resetting caches (including via the developer menu)

Deleting the .db caches manually

safe mode restart

Still, nothing. Tech support informed me that they are aware of problems with Safari running on various versions of MacOS regarding the favicons/start page icons. Advised to wait for an update. It seems this problem has been occurring for some time so I’m not holding my breath for a fix anytime soon. Frustrating as I use this feature all the time and without the websites logos to quickly see which one I want it makes the feature redundant.

This is a pretty major functionality issue which should be addressed asap. Fingers crossed.

Safari Homepage Favorite Icons are Gray or missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.