Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot transfer some photos from iPhone to MacBook Pro

Hi,

I cannot transfer some photos, which I took with my iPhone camera, from iPhone 13ProMax to MacBook Photos App. The error message is:

"This items cannot be added to your Photo library because it may be an unrecognizable file format or the file may not contain valid data" and with "File Name" being displayed as empty and with "Reason" as "Unable to read metadata. The file may be corrupt."

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 8:51 AM

I wonder about the format of the pictures. New phones use HEIC, a format that El Capitan had never heard of. So it may be an incompatibility in formats. That can be fixed with settings on the phone:

In iPhone Settings>Camera>Formats chose Most Compatible so it will export Photos as jpgs

In iPhone Settings>Photos>Transfer choose Automatic so it will adjust to what's most compatible.

Check this out and let us know if this does it...

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2023 8:51 AM in response to FairyZephyr

I wonder about the format of the pictures. New phones use HEIC, a format that El Capitan had never heard of. So it may be an incompatibility in formats. That can be fixed with settings on the phone:

In iPhone Settings>Camera>Formats chose Most Compatible so it will export Photos as jpgs

In iPhone Settings>Photos>Transfer choose Automatic so it will adjust to what's most compatible.

Check this out and let us know if this does it...

Cannot transfer some photos from iPhone to MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.