Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot transfer some photos from iPhone to MacBook Pro: Unable to read metadata. The file may be corrupt

Hi,

I cannot transfer some photos, which I took with my iPhone camera, from iPhone 13ProMax to MacBook Photos App. The error message is:

"This items cannot be added to your Photo library because it may be an unrecognizable file format or the file may not contain valid data" and with "File Name" being displayed as empty and with "Reason" as "Unable to read metadata. The file may be corrupt."

I tried a solution suggested here:

Cannot transfer some photos from iPhone t… - Apple Community

"In iPhone Settings>Camera>Formats chose Most Compatible so it will export Photos as jpgs

In iPhone Settings>Photos>Transfer choose Automatic so it will adjust to what's most compatible."

However, it doesn't help and the same problem persists...

Really hope this can be solved.

I am using MacOSX 10.13.4 High Sierra and Photos Version 3.0 (3271.13.150) on my MacBook Pro, and iOS 16.3.1 on my iPhone 13 Pro Max.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 6:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 7:40 AM

Try to import the items with Image Capture instead of Photos. Image Capture can save the items to a folder in the Finder, so you can check, if the files are readable at all, vor example by opening them with Preview.

If that is not possible, try to transfer the images using a different app on the iPhone, Mail or Airdrop.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2023 7:40 AM in response to FairyZephyr

Try to import the items with Image Capture instead of Photos. Image Capture can save the items to a folder in the Finder, so you can check, if the files are readable at all, vor example by opening them with Preview.

If that is not possible, try to transfer the images using a different app on the iPhone, Mail or Airdrop.

Cannot transfer some photos from iPhone to MacBook Pro: Unable to read metadata. The file may be corrupt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.