Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Airdrop edited .NEF files from Photos

After upgrading to Ventura 13.2 on my Mac Mini I'm suddenly unable to Airdrop an edited .NEF photo. The unedited .NEF photos work fine, just as before. I also don't have any problems with edited .HEIC or .JPG photos. After selecting the edited photo and clicking on Share>Airdrop the Airdrop window just never opens. BTW: .NEF photos are imported from my Nikon DSLR. The issue doesn't happen when Airdropping an edited photo from my iPad running iOS 16.2 back to my Mac Mini.

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 1:30 PM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2023 1:30 PM in response to Flyin' Ken

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Jan 27, 2023 9:12 AM in response to Flyin' Ken

HEIC are not raw photos. It is a very efficient compressed format that Apple has adopted to create much smaller files to we can have more on an iPhone or Mac. However, it's not used widely so to use in many other apps or on the internet they must be converted to a more compatible JPEG format which can be done by exporting out of the Photos library as an edited photo.

Jan 26, 2023 11:48 AM in response to Flyin' Ken

There's no such thing as an edited NEF, or any raw file. IN fact, a Raw isn't really even a file, just a sensor dump from the camera.

When you edit a NEF in Photos or similar apps (i.e. parametric editors), your decisions are stored in the database, and applied live to the NEF each time you view it. But to share the file in edited form you need to save it as an image file - I,e Jpeg. tiff or whatever.

Jan 27, 2023 1:04 PM in response to Old Toad

Unfortunately this doesn't help solve my problem. To re-state: Prior to updating to Ventura, I was able to select a .NEF photo from my Library in the Photos app that I had cropped or performed some other type of editing on, and share it with my iPad or iPhone via AirDrop. Now, running Ventura, I'm unable to do that. After selecting Share>AirDrop in the menu the AirDrop window doesn't open. I have noticed that I can AirDrop an un-edited photo, however. I guess I'm hoping someone has a work-around until this "bug" gets fixed.

Unable to Airdrop edited .NEF files from Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.