iPhoto Airdrop to iPhoto with All Photos Data for multiple photos not working

With iPhoto (Photos) Mac Monterey open on MacBook Pro and iPad (16.6) Photos open - both with WiFi and Bluetooth on... When one photo or video is selected and then the Share icon used, along with the next "Options" set to include "All Photos Data," after doing AirDrop to the MacBook Pro and clicking "Accept," there is the option to "Open in Photos." And it does, and yes includes photo data, etc. But only if just one photo or video is selected.

Same steps taken after selecting two (or more) photos or videos on the iPad, and though "Open in Photos" is available after Accepting on the Mac, no photos get automatically imported to Photos. Note that even if it doesn't have focus, the Photos program on the Mac does step to the front, focus-wise. (Focus meaning maybe a Finder window was open in front of Photos, and upon choosing the "Open in Photos" after Accept, Photos is somehow summoned and takes its place as the active software on the screen.) But none of the multiple photos show up at all. And they do not end up in Downloads or anywhere. (And iCloud is not in play at all.)

Anybody know why this (AirDrop of multiple photos/videos to Photos on a different device) seems to be offered, but doesn't work?

Thanks for any insights.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 9:02 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 14, 2023 5:55 PM in response to Rich Apple

Hello Rich Apple,

We would like to see how we can help you with AirDrop not working as expected. If you turn off Focus for both devices, does the issue persist? Follow the steps in this link to check: Turn on or schedule a Focus on iPhone - Apple Support

"Turn off a Focus

When you’re finished using a Focus, you can quickly turn it off to allow notifications again. After you turn off a Focus, it still appears in Control Center and can be reused.

1. Do any of the following:

2.Tap the Focus that’s on to turn it off."

Cheers!

Sep 15, 2023 9:47 PM in response to Rich Apple

Solved! My original post was about how multiple photos/videos selected then Shared via AirDrop from iPad to Mac with the "All Photo Data" option on should allow me to "Accept" and then choose "Open in Photos," but while such was offered via the process, it wasn't working. It would then just not do anything. (It would work for single photos/videos.)

After some experimentation, it turns out this was because the Photo Library I had open on the Mac was an external library and not the "System Library." (I think an external library can be selected to be the System Library, but mine was not. Typically the System Library is on the internal hard drive.)

My goal was all about how to have Albums on the iPad that I can save off to an external Photos library and still maintain my edits and timestamps and captions. But Albums are not seen via the simple connecting of the iPad to the Mac via usb to then import from within the Mac Photos. No Albums are shown for the Connected Device, just scads of photos/videos.

So using the Mac Photos that is the System Library does let the Share/AirDrop method work with multiple photos/videos, which can let me maintain my Albums organization. (Ultimately my goal is to clear space on my iPad while keeping my Album categories.)

thx

Sep 14, 2023 6:16 PM in response to Sean_B1

Thank you Sean, but I was using the word "Focus" in an old usage - meaning which open window on a computer has focus - meaning is the active window. I was just trying to add the info that when in the AirDrop accepting procedure it offers to "open in photos," (which it does when you have the All Photos Data turned on), it must try to do something with the open (but not active window) Photos program, because Photos does then become the active window. And yes, even if Photos is minimized on the Mac, the Open In Photos for multiple photos or videos, does bring it forward. Just doesn't get or do anything with any AirDropped photos or videos.

iPhoto Airdrop to iPhoto with All Photos Data for multiple photos not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.