Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2017 blue halo and turquoise highlights

Experiencing an issue with my 2017 MacBook Pro. There is a blue halo around all icons on my start screen. It is also translating into different apps e.g., search bar on Safari has turned turquoise as have all settings pages etc which were previously white.

It can't be to do with the entire screen as writing this the text box is white, however the outline is turquoise.

I have seen a couple of people have had similar issues so was wondering how/if they were resolved? I spoke to Apple Support over the phone and they told me to update my laptop but that made no difference whatsoever. It seems to have come out of nowhere as well.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 7:45 AM

MA2023 wrote:

I’ve tried all display and accessibility settings there’s nothing like that that’s been changed. I’m beginning to think it’s something to do with the screen itself, some kind of damage or something

On an Intel Mac you can try —

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

You can compare your results plugged into an external monitor— this would be telling, no issue here points to internal display.

Take an isolated screen shot Shift Command 4. Screen shots come directly from the GPU, not the screen itself.

No resolve take it in—

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost.  Mac Repair Service  Mac Repair & Service - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support   Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2023 7:45 AM in response to MA2023

MA2023 wrote:

I’ve tried all display and accessibility settings there’s nothing like that that’s been changed. I’m beginning to think it’s something to do with the screen itself, some kind of damage or something

On an Intel Mac you can try —

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

You can compare your results plugged into an external monitor— this would be telling, no issue here points to internal display.

Take an isolated screen shot Shift Command 4. Screen shots come directly from the GPU, not the screen itself.

No resolve take it in—

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost.  Mac Repair Service  Mac Repair & Service - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support   Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Jan 26, 2023 4:24 PM in response to MA2023

MA2023 wrote:

Experiencing an issue with my 2017 MacBook Pro. There is a blue halo around all icons on my start screen. It is also translating into different apps e.g., search bar on Safari has turned turquoise as have all settings pages etc which were previously white.

It can't be to do with the entire screen as writing this the text box is white, however the outline is turquoise.

I have seen a couple of people have had similar issues so was wondering how/if they were resolved? I spoke to Apple Support over the phone and they told me to update my laptop but that made no difference whatsoever. It seems to have come out of nowhere as well.

As screen shot would be of interest to see— Shift Command 4

you can attach it using the edit menu below

Jan 27, 2023 1:54 PM in response to MA2023

The only other suggestion is to make sure to check "Reduce Transparency" option (aka turn off transparency) in the Accessibility section of the System Preferences/Settings (as shown in the screenshot by @leroydouglas...four options above the highlighted red box in the screenshot).

When I saw something similar on an older laptop, it was a GPU issue which means the Logic Board is bad. It is a shading effect controlled by the GPU.

MacBook Pro 2017 blue halo and turquoise highlights

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.