Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weather radar in motion doesn’t work?

Since Apple axed Dark Sky, I’ve been giving the native Weather app the old college try.

My main complaint is that when you view current conditions for a location, the static image of radar for precipitation data seems correct, but if you tap on it to get past and future data in motion, it shows nothing.

Do others see this?

iPhone 14 Pro Max, 16

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 7:08 AM

Update:

Like mikebdba, the issue persists in iOS 16.3. If you see his comment, it sounds as though it did not exist in 16.0.3. I contacted Apple Support about this on 2/9/2023. They had me try a few things such as deleting and re-installing the Weather, disabling and re-enabling location services, with no effect. The case is in the process of getting escalated. Worth mentioning, if you zoom out, you frequently can find areas where the in-motion radar is working, but it is in little squares in odd and inconsistent locations, and they will only show up at certain zoom levels.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2023 7:08 AM in response to jrbapple

Update:

Like mikebdba, the issue persists in iOS 16.3. If you see his comment, it sounds as though it did not exist in 16.0.3. I contacted Apple Support about this on 2/9/2023. They had me try a few things such as deleting and re-installing the Weather, disabling and re-enabling location services, with no effect. The case is in the process of getting escalated. Worth mentioning, if you zoom out, you frequently can find areas where the in-motion radar is working, but it is in little squares in odd and inconsistent locations, and they will only show up at certain zoom levels.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Jan 29, 2023 10:47 AM in response to jrbapple

Hello jrbapple,

We understand that when you check the Precipitation Map, it doesn't seem to load fully. Have you made sure to update to iOS 16.3 yet? If not, back up and update, and then see if that helps: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If the persists on iOS 16.3, use this link to get in touch directly for further assistance: Apple Support

Cheers!

Feb 9, 2023 7:27 AM in response to jrbapple

Hi,

If you're talking about the Next-Hour Forecast, the issue you're facing is likely because of your location. The Next-Hour Forecast feature in weather is only available in the United States, Ireland and the United Kingdom. If you're in one of those countries and are facing this issue, it could be a good idea to contact Apple Support again and see if there might be something else you can try: https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=arssw

See where certain Weather features are available: Feature availability and data sources in the Weather app - Apple Support

Hope you find this helpful!

-Dallen

Feb 15, 2023 5:03 AM in response to Dallen_Frutchey

I live in the US, 25 minutes away from a NWS weather radar location. Updated on 16.3 and have adjusted Location Services from Always On to using the app or widget as suggested previously in this thread. The radar sweep did work when that change was made.

However here's the rub... To trigger location services only when I enable or interact with the app is an unacceptable fix in a severe weather situation. Is it my understanding that if my phone sits on my night stand while I sleep I won't be able to receive severe weather notifications regarding a tornado headed my way?

Apple needs to escalate this issue.

Weather radar in motion doesn’t work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.