You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

💡 Did you know?

General and ongoing cleaning can help you maintain your AirPods or AirPods Pro.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can someone else track my location through my AirpodPros?

Recently my ex-bf sent me these screenshots of my AirPods Pro being a detected device near him when we went out for dinner one night. My AirPod Pros keep making the beeping sound at least once a day and I am concerned that he is tracking them ever since he sent me these screenshots. Could he have paired with them and now be tracking my device? How can I prevent this from happening with other devices in the future and also disconnect my device from any devices that may be tracking them?? Can the beeping sound they make be from a manufacturer defect? These are relatively new since I just got them last year in December, please help me!!!

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 6:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 8:50 PM

Psalmbodytolove Said:

"Can someone else track my location through my AirpodPros?: Recently my ex-bf sent me these screenshots of my AirPods Pro being a detected device near him when we went out for dinner one night. My AirPod Pros keep making the beeping sound at least once a day and I am concerned that he is tracking them ever since he sent me these screenshots. [...]"

-------

Use of Find My and AirPods:

These are apparently attached to his account. So, either have him remove these from his Apple Account, or trash these, and use one of your own. AirPods are not assigned their own IP Address. So, being paid to your device, unpair these, and then trash them in a random location. The location shown in Fin My is only the location of the device that these were synced with was itself connected to the Internet. This is because AirPods are not Assigned their own IP Address.

So, the ultimate solution would be to...

Restore your iPhone Factory Settings:

If you are so concerned, then restore your iPad to factory settings. Perform as incited here, including the Apple ID logout, and backup creation. Go here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 26, 2023 8:50 PM in response to Psalmbodytolove

Psalmbodytolove Said:

"Can someone else track my location through my AirpodPros?: Recently my ex-bf sent me these screenshots of my AirPods Pro being a detected device near him when we went out for dinner one night. My AirPod Pros keep making the beeping sound at least once a day and I am concerned that he is tracking them ever since he sent me these screenshots. [...]"

-------

Use of Find My and AirPods:

These are apparently attached to his account. So, either have him remove these from his Apple Account, or trash these, and use one of your own. AirPods are not assigned their own IP Address. So, being paid to your device, unpair these, and then trash them in a random location. The location shown in Fin My is only the location of the device that these were synced with was itself connected to the Internet. This is because AirPods are not Assigned their own IP Address.

So, the ultimate solution would be to...

Restore your iPhone Factory Settings:

If you are so concerned, then restore your iPad to factory settings. Perform as incited here, including the Apple ID logout, and backup creation. Go here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jan 26, 2023 8:32 PM in response to Psalmbodytolove

Hello Psalmbodytolove,

Apple takes privacy very seriously; because of this, Apple offers many ways to keep your location, personal information, and sensitive data safe.

Refer to this article for preventing anyone from tracking your AirPods. Reseting your AirPods should disable the option for anyone else to track them:

How to reset your AirPods and AirPods Pro - Apple Support

Here is some more information on privacy practices you can take to prevent unauthorized access to your location information (Safety Check, available with iOS 16, allows you to manage the data you share with someone else even if they won't erase the data themselves):

Manage information sharing with Safety Check on iPhone - Apple Support

Personal Safety User Guide - Apple Support

Privacy - Control - Apple

If you followed all of these steps and you still believe that your AirPods are being tracked by someone else, you can report this privacy issue to Apple:

Report a security or privacy vulnerability - Apple Support

I hope this helps. Have a nice day.

Can someone else track my location through my AirpodPros?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.