You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac book serial number is not recognized

I put the correct device serial number but it says it is invalid . I am trying to reset Mac to factory settings and I cannot do it. I cannot sign out too. Error 7005 is coming up

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 8:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 8:35 PM

dance193 Said:

"Mac book serial number is not recognized: I put the correct device serial number but it says it is invalid . I am trying to reset Mac to factory settings and I cannot do it. I cannot sign out too. Error 7005 is coming up"

-------

Troubleshooting a Device Type:

Verify Via the Serial Number:

See if this is a glitch in Apple's device database. Enter the Serial Number to verify the device at this link: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support. If this Mac shows up as and iPhone, then you need to contact Apple Support to fix this glitch. Use this link for contacting them: Get Support

For Note:

Where to Obtain a Serial Number:

A. Original Packaging:

You'll find the Serial Number on the box that this device was packed in.

B. Purchase Invoice or Receipt:

You'll find the Serial Number printed on the invoice or receipt that cam with your device:

C. Use Your Account:

If associated to your App Account, click it:

1. Login: https://appleid.apple.com/
  2. Click: on Devices
  3. Click: Your MacBook Pro
  4. View: the Serial Number

D. On the Device Itself:

Find the Serial Number in the macOS it iOS

• Serial Number of a Mac:
  1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Select: About This Mac
  3. View: Very-bottom line
  • Serial Number of an iPhone:
  1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: About
  3. View: second item-down
  4. Enter: the Serial Number here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support
1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 28, 2023 8:35 PM in response to dance193

dance193 Said:

"Mac book serial number is not recognized: I put the correct device serial number but it says it is invalid . I am trying to reset Mac to factory settings and I cannot do it. I cannot sign out too. Error 7005 is coming up"

-------

Troubleshooting a Device Type:

Verify Via the Serial Number:

See if this is a glitch in Apple's device database. Enter the Serial Number to verify the device at this link: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support. If this Mac shows up as and iPhone, then you need to contact Apple Support to fix this glitch. Use this link for contacting them: Get Support

For Note:

Where to Obtain a Serial Number:

A. Original Packaging:

You'll find the Serial Number on the box that this device was packed in.

B. Purchase Invoice or Receipt:

You'll find the Serial Number printed on the invoice or receipt that cam with your device:

C. Use Your Account:

If associated to your App Account, click it:

1. Login: https://appleid.apple.com/
  2. Click: on Devices
  3. Click: Your MacBook Pro
  4. View: the Serial Number

D. On the Device Itself:

Find the Serial Number in the macOS it iOS

• Serial Number of a Mac:
  1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Select: About This Mac
  3. View: Very-bottom line
  • Serial Number of an iPhone:
  1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: About
  3. View: second item-down
  4. Enter: the Serial Number here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Mac book serial number is not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.