Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folder Toolbar missing icon

Every folder I open on my desktop displays the same missing icon in the toolbar. When I click on the ? I get the 'item can't be found' pop-up. Firstly, I have no idea why this tif file is displaying here and secondly the file is on the computer so shouldn't be missing. Does anyone have any tips on how I can get rid of this icon?

Mac mini, macOS 13.2

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 2:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 5:49 AM

It looks like you accidentally added some file alias to the toolbar and now that file does not exist anymore. No worries, you can just delete it from there.

Control-click and choose Remove from Toolbar, hold down Command and drag it off the toolbar.

Incidentally, you customize what appears in the toolbar: View->Customize Toolbar. When doing so, one option is to “drag the default”, which should also get rid of any extra icons like this.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2023 5:49 AM in response to JerJ74

It looks like you accidentally added some file alias to the toolbar and now that file does not exist anymore. No worries, you can just delete it from there.

Control-click and choose Remove from Toolbar, hold down Command and drag it off the toolbar.

Incidentally, you customize what appears in the toolbar: View->Customize Toolbar. When doing so, one option is to “drag the default”, which should also get rid of any extra icons like this.

Folder Toolbar missing icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.