Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID

Hello.

I've bought an appe iphone 6s plus yesterday but i have an issue. the previous owner doesn't remember the apple id's password and security questions. He doesn't have access to the rescue email. the apple id is kinda locked and i can't remove it or update my phone without having its password. what should i do? i would really appreciate it if you help me out. Thank you.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 3:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 3:44 AM

I could post a bunch of links to documents about retrieving account information but they all require knowing some of the other information. If the owner cannot remember any of those things then I suspect the owner will have a very hard time getting access to the account information required to remove the lock on the phone. In that case the standard means for removing the lock is not available and you will have to see if you can get the owner to ask Apple to remove the lock. Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. This is done online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not provide many details in the article as to what is acceptable proof. Prior to this official service Apple typically required the original receipt* issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the first owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership transfer).

*Apple recommends you keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device. --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2023 3:44 AM in response to mahan213

I could post a bunch of links to documents about retrieving account information but they all require knowing some of the other information. If the owner cannot remember any of those things then I suspect the owner will have a very hard time getting access to the account information required to remove the lock on the phone. In that case the standard means for removing the lock is not available and you will have to see if you can get the owner to ask Apple to remove the lock. Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. This is done online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not provide many details in the article as to what is acceptable proof. Prior to this official service Apple typically required the original receipt* issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the first owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership transfer).

*Apple recommends you keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device. --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.