You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BOUGHT NEW MACBOOK PRO M1 2020 BUT 'PURCHASE DATE NOT VALIDATED' AND DEVICE HAS NO WARRANTY COVERAGE

Hello! I just bought a MacBook Pro M1 2020 last January 26, 2023. It was sealed when I unboxed. Upon lifting the screen, the apple logo and that thin white line indicating a 'loading or opening' status didn't show up. So, the seller plugged in the charger and connected to the device. Then the Mac opened. The battery showed 1% in red and indicated 'Not Charging'. But eventually, the charging spiked. Anyways, except for that, everything looked really good. I was very excited. So, I went home. Little did I know upon checking the Serial Number at home, it gave me a 'Purchase Date Not Validated' and when I tried to do so, I would have to enter purchase date which I though date mentioned above which was. So I contacted the seller for him to do so as I presumed he has it upon procuring the unit from an official Apple Store for reselling. Unfortunately, he only told me to wait for days because it would take days to update in the apple database. I had no choice so until now been waiting and checking but still the status is the same 'Purchase Date Not Validated'. Because I felt dissatisfied with my purchase experience thinking it wasn't a good buy, I tried to ask for a change of item, if not, to get my money back but the seller refused to do so since according to him my hands can be seen in pictures and video while unboxing the sealed product. I don't know what to do. I got so many worries and doubts. Please anyone could enlighten or help me as the seller doesn't seem to be helpful and welcoming to my concerns. Beside that, I didn't get any receipt for this purchase, only the store warranty card.

1. Is my unit refurbished or sort of used despite it was sealed when I unboxed it? or,
  2. Is it a fake or counterfeit one as the warranty is not validated? (Siri works perfectly though)
  3. What could I do about the warranty issue?

Thank you in advance!

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 11:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 11:45 AM

If this was a third party reseller then the responsibility is his.

If he was an authorized Apple retailer: Click on this link to read how to 'Update your proof of purchase' --> Update your proof of purchase - Apple Support

To update your information contact Apple Support by phone. Tell the advisor that you need help with your Apple Limited Warranty or AppleCare plan expiration date.

Here’s what you need when you call:

- Your AppleCare agreement number

- The device serial number

- Your sales receipt

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 30, 2023 11:45 AM in response to TolMax

If this was a third party reseller then the responsibility is his.

If he was an authorized Apple retailer: Click on this link to read how to 'Update your proof of purchase' --> Update your proof of purchase - Apple Support

To update your information contact Apple Support by phone. Tell the advisor that you need help with your Apple Limited Warranty or AppleCare plan expiration date.

Here’s what you need when you call:

- Your AppleCare agreement number

- The device serial number

- Your sales receipt

Jan 30, 2023 11:43 AM in response to TolMax

If this seller is neither Apple, nor an Apple Authorized Reseller, it is very possible that this laptop may be used (or faulty) ... even if it came with, what looks like, sealed packaging.

If the seller is not being helpful, I suggest that you return it to them for a full refund. If they are not willing to do so, then you may need to take this up with your local law enforcement agency for resolution.

BOUGHT NEW MACBOOK PRO M1 2020 BUT 'PURCHASE DATE NOT VALIDATED' AND DEVICE HAS NO WARRANTY COVERAGE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.