Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External monitor won't wake after after Ventura upgrade

Have Mac Studio with Studio Display plus LG UltraFine 24" 4K monitor. Both are connected with USB-C cables. Worked fine until Ventura 13.1 and 13.2, at which time the LG would disappear whenever the computer went to sleep. Only way to re-connect was to unplug and then plug back in the USB-C cable going to the LG, then all was OK until next sleep. Tried different cables, each separately connected to the Mac instead of daisy-chaining, nothing works. Help!

Mac Studio, macOS 13.2

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 8:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 5:52 PM

Same issue on MacBook M2 Pro. I use 2 external monitors and the laptop is closed. Whenever the laptop goes to sleep, the primary external monitor will not wake. Only the secondary external monitor. I need to unplug one of the monitors and plug it back in again to get both to register.

(It doesn’t matter which one I unplug.)

And no, “Detect Displays” does nothing.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2023 5:52 PM in response to EmDrei

Same issue on MacBook M2 Pro. I use 2 external monitors and the laptop is closed. Whenever the laptop goes to sleep, the primary external monitor will not wake. Only the secondary external monitor. I need to unplug one of the monitors and plug it back in again to get both to register.

(It doesn’t matter which one I unplug.)

And no, “Detect Displays” does nothing.

Feb 1, 2023 8:42 PM in response to erishun

Thanks for the info about your situation. It’s just like mine. I talked with Apple tech-support last night and she walked me through many of the same procedures I tried, including rotating the USB-C plug 180°. The only thing that seem to take care of the problem was switching to a different USC-C port on the back of my studio Mac. Interestingly, the front USB-C port on the Mac would not even work with the external monitor! Switching to that different port on the back temporarily cured the wake-from-sleep problem but this morning the problem is back again. The support person said they could not find anything in their records to help in this situation. I pointed out to her that this problem occurred to many people when they switched to Big Sur, and she agreed that Apple saw the same issue back then. But no help with Ventura causing the problem.

Feb 8, 2023 2:34 PM in response to EmDrei

I'm also having this problem. I have an LG 24" Ultra Fine with thunderbolt that has everything connected to it, and then I just plug in my macbook pro 2019 and ususally I'm all set. Today I upgraded to Ventura 13.2 and the monitor does not work at all. I know that all the ports work and that the connections is good because the LG is still charging my macbook. The frustrating thing is I bought this monitor at the Apple store since it is supposed to work perfectly with macbooks.

Feb 9, 2023 12:02 AM in response to robvdboom

UPDATE: Apple could not solve the issue, so on a guess, I purchased a very high quality USB-C Thunderbolt 4 cable. Replaced the LG-supplied cable with this one. It works perfectly now even after 5 days.

Cable Matters [Intel Certified] 40Gbps Thunderbolt 4 Cable 3.3ft with 8K Video and 240W Charging - 1m, Compatible with USB4, Thunderbolt 3 Cable and USB-C : Amazon link below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YS59V4K?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

External monitor won't wake after after Ventura upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.