Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers... can't enter a cell

I have a spreadsheet with multiple spreadsheets and all was working well until suddenly, on only one of the sheets, I can't enter a cell. When I click anywhere it draws a box around the entire sheet, almost as if I was in drawing mode. No problem getting rid of the box (just click anywhere outside of it) but still can't use my spreadsheet/.

What am I doing wrong... what did I enter by mis

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 10:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 12:14 PM

maybe you accidentally locked the table.

when you click the table, do the controls look like little squares or "X"s?

Unlocked:

locked:

the key combination to lock is <command>+l (lower case "L") or the Numbers menu item "Arrange > Lock"

to unlock, select the table, then choose the Numbers menu item "Unlock" or use the key combination

<command>+<option>+l (again, lower case "L")

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2023 12:14 PM in response to Charlie Levi

maybe you accidentally locked the table.

when you click the table, do the controls look like little squares or "X"s?

Unlocked:

locked:

the key combination to lock is <command>+l (lower case "L") or the Numbers menu item "Arrange > Lock"

to unlock, select the table, then choose the Numbers menu item "Unlock" or use the key combination

<command>+<option>+l (again, lower case "L")

Feb 1, 2023 8:23 AM in response to Charlie Levi

A "sheet" (tab) in Numbers has a blank canvas on which you can place tables, shapes, charts and other objects.

From your description it's hard to know exactly what is happening on your end.

A screenshot might help: shift-command 4, select area, release, start new post here and use the mountains-and-moon 'Image insertion' icon to attach the screenshot from the Desktop.

Is it possible that you have added a shape to the sheet that is on top of a table? When you click and see the "box" have you tried hitting the delete key? (make a backup/duplicate before trying this, of course).

SG

Numbers... can't enter a cell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.