Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Irrationally high CPU usage for any task on my Mac Pro late 2013

Starting roughly 7 months ago, my Mac Pro started to exhibit weird behaviour. Starting with random shutdowns and aforementioned insane CPU usage, these later evolved to become a further nuisance. I don't want to bore anyone with the details, so I will tell you that I have tried everything Google has to offer. I have reinstalled the OS, cleared storage space, reset several settings, and so on. The best I can get out of my Mac anymore the rare boot where this problem does not occur.

Any help at all would be much appreciated. Even just a diagnosis would be significant to me. Thank you.

Mac Pro, macOS 12.6

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 6:07 PM

Download and run this little "discovery" utility, Etrecheck. it solves NOTHING. Its purpose is to create a report, pre-laundered of personally-identifiable information, that can be posted back to the forums for Readers to analyze.

Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 2, 2023 6:09 AM in response to FinnFos

MalwareBytes is by far the malware scanner for the Mac that is most recommended here.

However, you should run it ONLY on demand, and NEVER the way you are running it, as 'real-time protection' it provides no additional real-time protection, it just wastes system resources in a really big way. Turn that feature OFF.

These items are unsigned, not on a list of legitimate trouble-free apps, and may be malware:

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.wisetechlabs.mhelper.plist

Executable: ~/Library/Application Support/MHelper/MHelper.app

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.wisetechlabs.wmcthirdday.plist

Executable: /Applications/Wise Mac Care.app

Wise Mac Care should be completely un-installed.

This item is no longer supported and should be removed:

Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin

when you install drive makers software, it allows you drive to stay in a foreign format, and it will NOT be available unless/until the manufacturers software has been loaded into a fully-functional MacOS. that is not available in Recovery or usable for software restore.

Best Practice has alwasy been to ERASE the drive when new using Disk Utility, and format for Mac.

[Not Loaded] SamsungPortableSSDDriver.kext - com.samsung.portablessd.driver (2.0.0 - SDK 10.16)

You appear to be running google browser, that most notorious resource hog there is. You should strongly consider moving to a different browser that has a lighter footprint, such as FireFox or Safari, either of which are also faster.

WhatPulse? Unless you are actually tabulating and using that data for something, WhatPulse should GO.

Last backup: 2022-12-17 00:10:52 ¿are you crazy? Time machine runs in the background. Let it run more often!

You should clean up all of these items. some may be running and trying too communicate with nobody:

Clean up:

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.logmein.hamachimb.plist

/Applications/LogMeIn Hamachi/LogMeIn Hamachi Menubar.app/Contents/MacOS/LogMeIn Hamachi Menubar

Executable not found

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.GC.Invoker-1.0.plist

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AdobeGCClient/agcinvokerutility

Executable not found

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.wisetechlabs.wmc1day.plist

/Applications/Wise Mac Care.app

Executable not found

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.wisetechlabs.wisemaccare.plist

/Applications/Wise Mac Care.app

Executable not found

This suggests your drive may be getting too full. write speed should be comparable (maybe 80 percent) to read speed, not less than half read speed.

Write speed: 414 MB/s

Read speed: 1102 MB/s

this is the most frequent high CPU use item:

2023-02-01 19:02:45 factorio.app High CPU Use (5 times)

Executable: /Users/***/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/factorio.app

the actual crashes you experienced are down to these items:

2023-02-01 18:53:19 Finder.app Hang

Executable: /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app

2023-02-01 05:39:38 com.apple.iCloudHelper Crash

Executable: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AOSKit.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.iCloudHelper.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.iCloudHelper

iCloud is good for sharing cat pictures. it can not possibly perform at keeping all your work files up-to-date.

Mar 11, 2023 5:38 AM in response to FinnFos

Thanks for all of the tips... but I've already found the solution - and its not as dramatic as you might think.

A month ago, I tried to pull out some components in an attempt to find the root of the problem. While I was failing to use the right screwdriver to remove the hard drive, I noticed a copious amount of dust around the hardware. So I blew.

Out of curiosity, I then turned on the computer, only to find it working perfectly. And that was that. I would still like to thank the Apple Support Community for walking me through some very complex steps that I would have been able to find myself :)

Mar 11, 2023 5:56 AM in response to FinnFos

To clean inside a silver tower Mac Pro:

Move the system to someplace where dust is a don't care, e.g., garage or outside.

Remove the door or cover and blast the dust bunnies up and out of your Mac with compressed air.

Notes:

• Blast away -- cards are seated in slots with a fit that component engineers refer to as a "gas-tight" connection. so you can not blow dust INTO those connections.

• When cleaning cooling fans, do not be unrelenting or you can cause damage by spinning too fast or too long.

• DO NOT use a household vacuum on your sensitive electronics -- their plastic tools can cause huge static electricity that can damage components before you feel the Zap of a static discharge. If you choose to vacuum, use only a vacuum approved for use with electronics.

Irrationally high CPU usage for any task on my Mac Pro late 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.