Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 16.3 not showing icons from extensions and favicons macOS Big Sur

Hi, yesterday I got an update for both, Safari and macOS Big Sur, I applied the updates in my iMac late 2014 and when I opened Safari noticed that the icons from the favorite section where gone... I did not took it too serious because it can happen, and normally it should be a thing of re open the website and the icon would load again, well not this time...

Please note that only the icons are missing, the extensions works as intended, so it is a different reason that when both the icon and extension are gone.

Anyway, I had no luck with both issues.

What I've tried:

• Cleaning up Safari's cache from dev options.
  • Deleting the Favicons cache files from: "/Users/Username/Library/Safari/Favicon Cache".
  • Rebooting.
  • Checking out if the issues happened with Guest account (it did).
  • The issues persists in Safe Mode as well....

Is anyone experiencing this issues?

iMac 27″

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 12:15 AM

I actually just posted here about this a few days ago: Safari Extension Extension Works but Exte… - Apple Community

I have found absolutely no solution.

12 replies

Feb 3, 2023 7:24 AM in response to lzanger

Same, annoying problem here... with a 15" MacBook Pro 2015.

Furthermore, same kind of problem also occurs with the icons of the extensions installed on Safari, which are simply gone. To be precise: they are there, but you can't see them.

I did some research online and found that HUNDREDS of other people have the same issue.

Please Apple, do something!!!

Feb 5, 2023 12:56 PM in response to pjgois

Ahhhh...good idea to mention the specific extensions:

My Extensions with Missing Icons:

BitWarden

Keyword Search

Magic Lasso

Redirect Web for Safari (inactive)

Smart Keyword

My Extensions with Visible Icons (showing properly):

ABP / ABP Control Panel (inactive)

Subscribe to Feed

Capital One (inactive)

It sounds like there was a change to how extensions are implemented that may be causing this issue with some updated extensions. I have done very thorough searches for BW's extension icon. Using FindAnyFile, every instance on my backup MacOS (where the extension is showing) appears in my main main MacOS. I cannot figure it out. I've reported this issue to Apple.

The connection between extension icons missing and favicons not showing is interesting, particularly since favicons have their own cache.

Feb 5, 2023 3:41 PM in response to Adam F

So, to be a little more detailed...

In my case:

1. Sidebar favicons are gone... but they recreate themselves automatically when visiting individual sites.

2. Exactly the same behavior in the case of the Favorites Bar.

3. For me, the most annoying thing is that all the Favourite icons from the Start Page have disappeared and there is really no way to make them reappear, in any way.

4. As for the extension icons, among those I've activated only one is visible: "AdGuard for Safari". All the others are missing. These are: "Auto HD + FPS for Youtube", "Keepa" and "Translate". As already mentioned, the extensions are present and functional and the problem only affects the display of the icons.

5. While I was at it I tried to activate three other extensions that I had nearby, installed but not active: only the "MKPlayer" icon appeared, while for "Bitwarden" and "Userscripts" there was nothing to do.

Sorry for my poor english.

Hope this helps.

Safari 16.3 not showing icons from extensions and favicons macOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.