Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad reset & iCloud photos

If I restore iPad to factory settings, will my photos, contacts, messages, apps be still on iCloud? Thank you for your help.

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 3:09 PM

Anything synchronised with iCloud will survive a reset of your iPad.

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > [Apps Using iCloud] Show All

Enable all Apps and Apple services that you wish to synchronise with iCloud.

9 replies

Feb 4, 2023 4:06 AM in response to mtorofi

When setting-up a new device, natively available transfer methods are all-or-nothing. If you need to selectively transfer photos or files, you must individually move/copy them using AirDrop, iCloud or iTunes (using a PC or Mac computer). Alternatively, there are third-party file manager Apps (e.g., Stratospherix FileBrowser) that provide additional methods to transfer and manage your data.

Data synchronised directly with iCloud is not included within an iCloud backup. Your choice of data synchronised with iCloud can be controlled from iPad Settings:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud - enable Apps and services that you wish to synchronise with iCloud

These support pages should get you started with setup of your new iPad - and the methods of transferring your data from old to new iPad:

Set up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If the donor iPad, from which you are transferring your data precedes iOS12.4, QuickStart will not be available.

“Transfer” is rather a misnomer. In reality, your data and setup is merely cloned to the new device. Nothing is moved or removed from the original device.

An alternative is to restore either an iCloud or iTunes backup to the new device:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Feb 3, 2023 7:19 PM in response to LotusPilot

Please...I have another question: I have a new iPad not yet set up. I don't want my photos from iCloud downloaded to this new device. I just want messages, mail, my apps. Can I go to my iCloud account online using my PC and select on iCloud what I want to download?

I think that on setting up the new iPad and entering my Apple ID, everything that's on iCloud will be copied to the new device.

Would appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Feb 4, 2023 3:33 PM in response to mtorofi

Be aware that if both the iPad and iPhone have iCloud Photos enabled, deletion of photos from one device will also delete photos from the other.

If you wish to keep the photos on your iPhone, you must remember to disable iCloud Photos on the iPad before deleting the unwanted copy of your photos from iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Photos > Sync This iPad - set to OFF

iPad reset & iCloud photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.