Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it normal to receive a refubrished iPhone under Apple Care warranty?

Hi Guys,

We have a brand new 4 weeks old iPhone 14 pro which presumably has a hardware issue. it goes to "dead" mode and we were unable to reset it.

I called to Apple and they shipped a replacement device.

Today I received the device and I see it is NOT the brand new. it is a refurbished one.

is this a normal practice?

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 8:29 PM

From the AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions (emboldening mine):

If during the Plan Term, you submit a valid claim by notifying Apple that a defect in materials and workmanship has arisen in the Covered Equipment or, in relation to Covered Equipment which uses an integrated rechargeable battery, where the capacity of the Covered Device’s battery to hold an electrical charge is less than eighty percent (80%) of its original specifications, Apple will either: (i) repair the defect at no charge, using new parts or previously used genuine Apple parts that have been tested and pass Apple functional requirements, or (ii) exchange the Covered Equipment with a replacement product that is new or comprised of new and/or previously used genuine Apple parts and has been tested and passed Apple functional requirements.

All replacement products provided under this Plan will at a minimum have the same or substantially similar features (e.g., a different model with the same features, or the same model in a different color) as the original product. If Apple exchanges the Covered Equipment, the original product becomes Apple’s property and the replacement product is your property, with coverage effective for the remainder of the Plan Term. Apple may use Covered Devices or replacement parts for service that are sourced from a country that is different from the country from which the Covered Device or original parts were sourced.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2023 8:29 PM in response to MichaelTalan

From the AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions (emboldening mine):

If during the Plan Term, you submit a valid claim by notifying Apple that a defect in materials and workmanship has arisen in the Covered Equipment or, in relation to Covered Equipment which uses an integrated rechargeable battery, where the capacity of the Covered Device’s battery to hold an electrical charge is less than eighty percent (80%) of its original specifications, Apple will either: (i) repair the defect at no charge, using new parts or previously used genuine Apple parts that have been tested and pass Apple functional requirements, or (ii) exchange the Covered Equipment with a replacement product that is new or comprised of new and/or previously used genuine Apple parts and has been tested and passed Apple functional requirements.

All replacement products provided under this Plan will at a minimum have the same or substantially similar features (e.g., a different model with the same features, or the same model in a different color) as the original product. If Apple exchanges the Covered Equipment, the original product becomes Apple’s property and the replacement product is your property, with coverage effective for the remainder of the Plan Term. Apple may use Covered Devices or replacement parts for service that are sourced from a country that is different from the country from which the Covered Device or original parts were sourced.

Is it normal to receive a refubrished iPhone under Apple Care warranty?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.